Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3313 times)

Offline RobWiden

Introduction
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:12:04 pm »
Hi all. I just joined recently. Just got my first computer recently and am as illiterate with it as it's possible to be. I started building bows about 6 - 8 years ago and the learning curve has been a long one. I have the TBB books and The Bent Stick but there's a lot of little tricks they don't tell you. My biggest problem has been finding bow wood. The best that grows around here is birch and it can make a nice bow but it has to be wide and long, which limits the designs you can use. The nearest store that carries hardwoods is a 4 hour drive away.
    I've made somewhere between 60 and 100 bows and a huge amount of firewood (birch is also the best firewood that grows around here.
    In September I was contacted by bowyer who also lives in my province (BC) and he reccomended that I join Trad Gang. I did and learned more in a few weeks than I had in the previous year. I also saw references to Primitive Archer and joined here. I've learned a lot here too and have joined your bow swap. Finally got some nice hardwood so I don't think the swap bow will be birch. It's time to move out of my comfort zone.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline druid

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »
Welcome here man, it is good to see that still exist people with good manners about introducing, not just asking for advices on first post. I am sure you will like this place more and more.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:36 pm »
Nice to have you Rob and thanks for the introdution, man thats tough if the only wood around your area is birch. Its hard to think that in some areas there just isnt allot of good bow wood. If you want to try something different I have a nice cascara stave split in half and dry I bet it would make a cool birch backed bow. I also have vine maple and hazlenut, if your ever interested I could shp you some wood if you pick up the cost of shipping, not sure what it would be if your in BC? :-\ Anyway let me know if your ever interested in anything and we can work something out. Good to have you and WELCOME!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »
Welcome.  If you look at the "Bows" page, there are 525 pages of bow talk.  There is a ton of great bows and information in there.  There is also a trading post on this site where you could trade for some bow staves. 

Last time I sent a stave to Canada I think it cost around $30 in shipping.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:19:49 pm »
Welcome to PA Rob!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »
Welcome...I would not rule out a birch bow for the trade a lot of people may not have access to that wood and it is a talent unique to you.imho look forward to seeing some of your work!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:38:58 pm »
Glad you joined.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »
Welcome Rob  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 09:07:35 pm »
Welcome Rob, one of your neighbors up there in BC has some very nice Yew...  PM ravensbeak he can probably fix you up with some. I got a dynamite stave from him.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:28 pm »
welcome rob!
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:00 pm »
Welcome to PA
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:07 am »
Thank you all for your replies. You do know how to make a guy feel welcome. I'll play with the wood I have for now but may look for a swap for other staves later. Thanks again, Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:17:30 am »
Welcome Rob; make yourself at home ;). You'll find plenty of free advice here and don't be bashfull asking questions.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?