Author Topic: who's worked red elm?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline paulsemp

who's worked red elm?
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:23 am »
i have a straight, 55"long, 2.5" x 2.5" stave with a 1/2" of sapwood. I would like design ideas from you guys. do you leave all the sapwood on or take a few rings off so the heart wood does not run off?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: who's worked red elm?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22:15 am »
Most elm bows are made from sap wood,just peal the bark and you have your bow back. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:53 am »
  I've made bows all sap wood as well as all heart wood and some both. They all made good bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:10 am »
As the others said use the sapwood under the bark! 
  This is a red elm static recurve I built last winter. 60"t/t and pulled to 28". The handle does give a bit at full draw too.   55" is quite short. I'd make a bend through the handle style bow with a 55" stave.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »
i agree pat 55 is a little short, and i was planning a full working handle. thanks for the input, i will leave the sap wood as is and let the heartwood run off. by the way pat what kind of backing is on that bow? i like it!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »
Giraffe snake  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 04:04:08 pm »
Paul, it is animal print tissue paper. Comes in giraffe, zebra, tiger, lepoard and a few other patterns that are too big for a bow backing.  It is strictly decorative. The tissue paper is so thin it will tear easily as soon as it touches the wet glue.
 I did a considerable amount of tempering on this bow. I heat straightened and heat bent the curves using  a heat gun and oil but after she was almost tillered I did a good dry tempering. You can see the darkness on the belly. That is what remained after finish tillering and sanding.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »
thanks pat

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 04:00:15 am »
Here's one I made for my nephew.  69" ntn 45#@29".  I just debarked it and used the sapwood for the back.  It has a pretty severe character knot in the upper limb so I had to leave that part pretty stiff.  It ended up being half sapwood  and half heartwood.  Wish I had a good pic that showed the contrast.  Josh   

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:04 am »
thanks gun doc, i was wondering about the heart wood run off. bow looks great!!!