Author Topic: Silencer Question  (Read 6049 times)

CTBowyer

Silencer Question
« on: August 05, 2007, 02:07:39 pm »
Hi all,

I'm making a replica sudbury (Wampanoag) bow and I've noticed that even though the bow shoots pretty quietly there is still a soft "thud" sound (enough to spook a deer perhaps)  Are there any examples of eastern woodland bows having string silencers?  I've read that western bows sometimes had fur or feathers as sort of whisker silencers but I'm not sure about eastern.

jamie

Re: Silencer Question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:51:56 pm »
dude i build my bows with stone tools and i use silencers whether or not the natives did. its about killing deer , and if the bow makes noise shut it up. peace

CTBowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 04:24:01 pm »
I know that when it comes to deer you want it as silent as you can get it.  I was just wondering if silencers were used historically

jamie

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 07:57:29 am »
there are old drawings ive seen that show silencers on bows . most of the info ive seen shows no sign of it but some had it,. peace

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 03:58:06 pm »
When I go hunting all my bows will have those fur silencers on them and the tips will be sheathed in leather glued onto the knocking area. The slap of the string on the knocking grooves and the vibration of the string can cause the deer to jump the arrow. Sound travels faster than the fastest arrow.

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill