Author Topic: Can it be saved?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Tim B

Can it be saved?
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:13:08 pm »
I recently asked information about making a short pyramid style reflex deflex hickory bow and was in the process of reflexing the tips when I developed a nasty fret all the way across the belly of the curve. I am curious if I back the fret with rawhide and then wrap with thread and glue can the bow could be saved? The dimensions of the bow are 60" tip to tip, 5" handle, 2" wide at the fades tapering straight down to 1/2" nocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Can it be saved?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 04:32:40 pm »
Not by backing it.  The belly was already under to much compression.  It will need to be re tillered to remove all the fretting and get the tiller of the bow down to the weight of the weak area.  You could then add a belly lamination to get the weight back up.  Here is  a link you can read for more info.  Justin
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2909.0.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:00:16 pm »
I go along with Justin, I recently go a fret in a 70# bow, I had to reduce it to 50# and change the tiller to avoid bending in the fretted area, and overlay of thin would would have worked as well and I have used it in the past. steve

Offline Jbell

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:36:07 pm »
I don't know but am I reading this right, you said it occured while reflexing the tips, right? If it came from reflexing it is really not a fret just a crack. Can you post a pic?  If it is near the non bending tip, throw some super glue in it and you will be fine. I have had this happen to me more than once and just used some super glue and everything was fine. If it is due to compression failure (bending tomuch in one spot) then the other guys suggestions are the way to go.
Justin Blunt