Author Topic: Copper Nails?  (Read 7104 times)

Offline bushman

Copper Nails?
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:27:09 am »
Has anyone ever tried to use some of them 100% pure copper boat nails for pressure flaking?
Bushman

Offline Jimbob

Re: Copper Nails?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:39:32 am »
I dont know about boat nails but I tried some copper nails that I got from my farrier and they were too flimsy.  As soon as I put any kind of pressure to it, it just bent like a wet noodle.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:40:01 am »
I guess it would depend on the thickness of the nail.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

Offline bushman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:15:35 am »
Not sure on thickness but they come up to 3” or 3.5” long. So to drive that into wood I would think it would have to be stiff.
Bushman

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:16:37 am »
Only one way to find out. 8)

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:08 am »
they sell them at flint knapping tools, well  they sell them at several of the tool suppliers for knappin', Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:34:26 am »
If the copper is to soft twist it.I put one end in a vise and grab the other end with a visegrip and give it a few turns and see how much tighter the copper will get
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:10 am »
I have some pressure flakers designed to hold the small diameter copper nails and use them to do touch ups on the edges of my knives and points.  I use a tree log with padding on top to do the finish work.  Because only a very short point extends beyond the tip of the holder and only short flakes are being removed the nail works great.  The tip has to be kept sharp and that makes the life of the nail also short.  My problem is that I have not been able to find a source to restock. A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:33:27 am »
I use copper boat nails & love them. Some are slightly harder than others but nothing wrong with their preformance.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:44:40 am »
I use the 20 penny copper nails on my ishi stick and hand flaker both. LOVE EM!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bushman

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 04:09:53 pm »
I haven’t got any but in the hardware catalog from Lee Valley Tools they are always in there. Was just wondering if anyone had tried em before. Might have to get me a pack sometime. They also sell some silicon bronze boat nails, ever hear of em? I think they might be too hard, but never know.
Bushman

Offline bushman

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 04:26:06 pm »
Here is the URL to a supplier of copper boat fasteners out of VT.
http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/index.html
Bushman

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 07:48:59 pm »
I had Home Depot stock some copper roofing nails since they sell copper flashing for roofs. A box is around $18 and it's a pound.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 01:15:01 am »
Copper forges the opposite from steel.  Heating it and then letting it cool hardens it.  If you quench it it will soften it.  Also hammering it cold will harden it.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 03:03:07 am »
take copper ground rod, put one end in a vice and chuck the other in a drill motor and spin it till it breaks free, get's it good and hard, i use three diferant sizes to pressure flake with & they all get plenty hard, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹