Author Topic: Flea Market  (Read 2701 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Flea Market
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »
Whooohoo, look what I found at the Flea Market this morning. No more fire pit and charcoal :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulsemp

Re: Flea Market
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:11:18 pm »
i have been looking for one for years. what temp does it go up to?? how much did you pay?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:16:54 pm »
I don't know, it says low/high. I'll have to get a thermometer and thermostat from work. I paid $50 with extra elements and ceramic stands. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:10:50 pm »
$50? Can't beat that deal with a stick. Some guys are just lucky.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »
you dirty dawg!  Congrats bud, I need to start going to those flea market type events more....
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline chief deer

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »
What you have is the shell of a rock cooking kiln. In other words the controls will not work for rock. They heat way too fast and go way too high.  Hard to tell but it looks like about two bucket capacity. If you are lucky one switch and one coil will heat it but it may take two switchs and two coils. Most of my kilns have two switch two coil set up for 110. You can either buy or make new coils and the switchs are Robert Shaw5500-135. They run around 30 bucks each now. You can buy a coil for around 20. So for about another 100 you will be in rock cooking business. The coils in a ceramic kiln have been heated to very high temps and will be brittle. Even if  you are able to get them hooked up they will fail sooner or later. Better to do it right the first time and it is not a hard thing to do.  Mike Smyth

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:55 pm »
Great find Eddie!!  Sooooo................What ya gotta have for some cooked rock  ::) ::) ;D
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:24:19 pm »
Mike, it's a Paragon A66. It has a low, med, and high knob. Do you know what the temperature is with each setting? I couldn't help myself, I'm cooking coral on the low setting right now. I used a Buddies which was like this one and it cooked it pretty good on the low setting. It also says the Max temperature is 2300dgs.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »
Dang Eddie!  I think you stole it.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:59:43 pm »
Eddie, Google Paragon A66 and set a set of plans with the specs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »
Pat, I already have, thanks. It also came with a bunch of extra, new coils and the ones in it were just replaced. Seems to be working alright, haven't heard any blowing up yet. :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »
My question, You got a rock cooker on steroids and still put a wood burner in your shop? In Florida?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 06:50:02 pm »
 :-[ :-\ Really, it's gonna get cold. Cold weather sucks! I hate working in Canada, too, except for the people. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline RickB

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »
Great find at a fantastic price and already cooking rock. Rick B

Offline chief deer

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »
Don't know what they do.  Only way to know is put a thermometer on it and see how fast it ramps and how hot it gets. All except computer controlled that I know of usually raise too fast and get too hot.  You may get lucky but I doubt you will have a lot of control. Mike Smyth