Author Topic: Apple as bow wood?  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Apple as bow wood?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 02:35:15 pm »
This was the first bow I made it is crab apple, it ended up lifting a splinter bottom limb at a knot and the lower limb was working a bit hard but was a nice little bow while it lasted ;D I have a few nice apple staves I look forward to working soon.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »
Let me know how you guys do with your apple staves. I won't have a nice dry stave until spring so it'll be a while before I get into it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 06:49:51 pm »
All else fails, like HoBow said, it's awesome wood for smoking with. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lone500

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »
i love smoking with apple wood. its as good as smoking with hickory but just another good flavor  :D
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:52 pm »
I can only imagine smoked bear hams from a young boar taken at the very end of the apple season when he's had time to sweeten up and fill out!

Got the perfect bait, mashed apples with some yeast thrown in it to get it working!

Judging from the original post, the bear might be smoked when you get there. I suggest pizza rolls and mountain dew. ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 11:44:05 pm »
Herb infused bear meat.  That may just be the food that kills me.  Eat some, get the munchies, eat some more, more munchies, more bear,  until this dumb Norwegian busts open like a meat pinyata!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 01:13:30 am »
I've got a stick straight apple stave...68" that I just started on, think it may end up being my Trade Bow...we'll see.  I do look forward to trying my 1st piece of Apple though...
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lone500

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 01:26:48 am »
good luck with your apple bow. cant wait for pictures!
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 06:14:07 am »
This thread has me thinking. I have a crab tree in the yard that has a lot of long shoots 3" diameter coming from a trunk. It never grew as a normal tree,trunk with branches, it has many shoots that are 2 bow size and quite long and straight. It is scheduled to be cut anyway , so I guess I will see what it gives for staves.

Pete
share your knowledge and ideas