Author Topic: Primitive Bow Strings  (Read 11158 times)

Offline Kegan

Primitive Bow Strings
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:52:07 pm »
Been a little busy lately, so it felt nice to make some simple bow strinngs. With my growing fancy of the "Hatchet-and-rasp" D-bows, I figured I might do it right and make some prmitive strings to with them. So, thanks to Pat, I made my first sinew bow string using two peices of deer backstrap sinew and a new rawhide (my third attmpt) string for heavier bows outta a 7" circle of deer hide cut into a  1/8" piece and doubled up twice. Both are long enough for a six foot bow so I have plenty to work with and tie the bottom of the string on, like the old way( beats having a bulky knot slamming on the limbs:)

The thing is, the sinew string came out a little thin, so I don't know how strong it is, my only other experience being with rawhide. can any give me a rough generalization on how strong sinew is so I know where to start testing?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline YewArcher

Re: Primitive Bow Strings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:04:56 pm »
Great! its usually the one missing link that I see on primitive bows most often. Glad to see them!

SJM

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:10:04 pm »
yea baby!

jamie

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:51:15 pm »
need a measurement or reference for the size of the strings you have there. the sinew looks fine but hard to tell. im not fond of deer rawhide for strings. it works but doesnt hold up well. looks like ya did a good job on both. peace

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:18:19 pm »
The sinew string will work as a tow chain if its twisted good.  I have it from a good source that small animals that hibernate like groundhogs and badger work best for rawhide strings.  I just got a badger and a couple of woodchuck this morning.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 10:32:21 pm »
wow kegan thats really cool
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:09:36 am »
Excellent Kegan!  You are now way ahead of me in the primitive classes. ::) My favorite is till dacron.     I'm curious to see how well they work.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tradrick

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 12:26:58 pm »
Now thats cool.You guys that make and shoot sinew strings and building bows from stone tools,well lets just say I take my hat off to ya.Its hard to get more primitive than that.tradrick

Trapper

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:14:03 pm »
Kegan you did great for your first strings , but you still have aways too go before they will look decent , I will put it this way it get easier after the first 100 or so and then compare these too them and the difference will be very noticable, You wont have any tags or anything after you get the hand of it , ..... Dont put down deer rawhide Ive made bowstrings out of deer rawhide that you could pull a truck with , but you have too make them out of green wet rawhide.     Trapper

jamie

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 02:17:12 pm »
i'll try that this fall trap. most of em ive made are too heavy and only last 50 or so pokes. peace

Trapper

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 02:31:57 pm »
I try too get a big old buck for srting material, and after I get it dehaired I cut it into right down the middle, split it. and cut my strings along the thick edges of the back, cut them 1/4th in. thick and I just use 2 pieces and thenthey will dry up to 1/8th in they will shrink about half its amazing.    Trapper

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 02:46:50 pm »
               Like Justin said burrowin' animals make good rawhide strings as do fox squirrels. Dont waste yer time on reds and greys hide is not the same. IMHO deer rawhide strings dont have the longetivity of the others. BTW as somebody said I think takes a lot of moisture er water ta get rawhide strings wet. ;D.........bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 04:02:24 pm »
Thanks everyone. I have been rading back issues of PA, and John McPherson's bit on his bow strings (in Naked Into the Wilderness). But deer rawhide was all I had on hand to ake a string and last night I tested the sinew string out to at least 50#, so I am happy with my first try at a sinew string ;D. My rawhide is a little stiff, so I definately want to try some opther types of rawhide :).