Author Topic: yucca bowstring-added info regarding natural bowstrings  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Lone500

Re: yucca bowstring-added info regarding natural bowstrings
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »
tyvm for the insight mikekeswick. very very valuable info.

just wondering what you wax your string with?
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »
there are some shortcuts for twisting some quick cordage dictionary. none are as strong as doing a good tight take your time twist tho.

no shortcuts-i just have fast fingers  :D and have made enough reverse twist cordage over the years that its sorta second nature by now

heres the vid. the "best " one i found so far tho still doesnt show enough of what he is doing but enough i think i got it
still havent had the chance to sit down and work it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKWmyS2Zbs

mikekeswick-thanks for yr input on what it might take to get a working/safe  bow string. gives me a better idea what im shooting for...

wild women don't get the blues

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
I got a couple of probably obvious questions.

1. When you guys talk about testing "Threads" at breaking strain, are you talking about "Threads" that are twisted yucca fibers or reverse wrapped lengths?

2. What is the purpose of wrapping in the first place? Why not take fibers and twist them clockwise while splicing in fibers when needed. Do this for say 15 feet then double that. Could this work? (15 feet is a long length but twisting fibers clockwise without wrapping is pretty quick)

3. I get confused by the word ply. Is this simply a bunch of twisted fibers? Therefore reverse wrapping is a 2 ply method since i fold the cord in half(or tie 2 cords off at their ends) and am twisting both halfs clockwise and wrapping them over themselves. Am i correct?

Thanks. Cordage is another achilles heel of mine.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Lone500

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 08:29:55 pm »
a thread is just an individual fiber you take off the plant.

twisting it make its all support each other. and ya as far as ive learned splicing in fibers as you go really is the best way as to avoid a weakspot.

i still dont really understand how 3 ply works. not sure if its a 2 ply start with a 3rd strand thrown in ro what.
Leon      Saluda, NC