Author Topic: center, past center shelf?  (Read 12206 times)

Offline taxus_bacata

center, past center shelf?
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:35:55 am »
What does this mean? If you're shooting a right handed bow, does this mean the past center is measured to the left when looking at its belly, bottom limb down? (increasing arrow bending along the bow) or the opposite, that is, measured to the right, reducing riser mass and allowing for less paradox? Thanks, as usual!!

mikekeswick

Re: center, past center shelf?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:58:58 am »
Center shot refers to the amount that has been 'cut out' of the side of the bow that the arrow rests on to allow the use of stiffer (more consistant) shafts. To be honest on a selfbow I think it's an abomination to go cutting a shelf out.  ;) ;) as there really is no need.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:24:05 am »
These are fiberglass bow designations and that is where they came from though some selfbowyers have done this.  Center cut means that the arrow pass is in the exact center of the bow which means the shaft is to the left of center. Past center means the arrow pass is cut beyond center so that the arrow is in the exact center. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jimmy

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:48:52 am »
To each his own , but I agree that there is no need to cut an arrow shelf.  You can do the same thing by thinning the handle and molding a shelf out of leather.  Those cut in type of shelves look too much like glass bow designs to me.  A wood bow is very feminine in a way.  It looks better with smooth lines and curves.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:55:51 am »
Here's one of my "abominations" as an example... :laugh: love this bow... 8)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=32310.0

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:44:01 pm »
I have one abomination as well. Excellent shooting bow. Leave it deep if you plan to cut a shelf in. Wood is much stronger in depth than width.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:54:49 pm »
One thing I hate about shelves is how nonadjustable they are. If the bows limbs are not balanced correctly or become unbalanced, your nocking point is still stagnant, so your basically screwed. An arrow pass is one thing, you can still move your nocking point up or down depending on how long of an arrow pass you installed on the bow. But a cut in arrow shelf is pretty permanent. I also hate how you have to cant a bow with a center cut shelf more than a normal bow to keep the arrow in place when shooting. Or it seems this way to me anyhow. With a center cut shelf, it seems my arrow always wants to fall out of the shelf, which if at the last second of draw could cause it to shoot off to the side? I don't know, I never really liked shelves enough to get used to shooting with them.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »
I also hate how you have to cant a bow with a center cut shelf more than a normal bow to keep the arrow in place when shooting. Or it seems this way to me anyhow. With a center cut shelf, it seems my arrow always wants to fall out of the shelf, which if at the last second of draw could cause it to shoot off to the side? I don't know, I never really liked shelves enough to get used to shooting with them.

If your still shooting with the arrow on the wrong side of the bow then yes this will happen. But if you shoot normally then its the exact opposite. You can keep the bow more upright with a shelf cut in.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:03:18 pm »
I also hate how you have to cant a bow with a center cut shelf more than a normal bow to keep the arrow in place when shooting. Or it seems this way to me anyhow. With a center cut shelf, it seems my arrow always wants to fall out of the shelf, which if at the last second of draw could cause it to shoot off to the side? I don't know, I never really liked shelves enough to get used to shooting with them.

If your still shooting with the arrow on the wrong side of the bow then yes this will happen. But if you shoot normally then its the exact opposite. You can keep the bow more upright with a shelf cut in.

Hmmm, I haven't considered this. No matter what though, I'm been shooting this way for years and don't see no real benefit to switching sides now just to shoot off a shelf. I know the japanese shoot their yumi's with the arrow on the right side, as well as alot of native americans did, so I wouldn't say I shoot wrong, I just don't shoot like you.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair