Author Topic: kickin a dead horse  (Read 7612 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
kickin a dead horse
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:44:17 pm »
i know it seems that way , but i try to exhaust all efforts learning a new wood type. so once again one of the two crepe myrtle bows i finished today. 58 inch nock to nock 42 lbs at 28, stained with osage alcohol stain.  bow came in light because of a cluster of knots in one limb . the belly side delammed on two dark lines on the belly  seperating from the bow about an inch long and 1/8th thick. i glued this by using a syrenge while half drawing the bow to open the gap .tried to get some different back grounds along the creek on my place

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: kickin a dead horse
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:48:14 pm »
Nice looking bow I like the stain job, I like the change of scenery ;D That flu flu looks nice too. Nice setup all the way around!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ken75

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:49:28 pm »
second bow of the day , for Caedmon , the 36 inch i sent with his dads bow was a lil too heavy for him . heres CM stave 40 inches on the nocks 15 lbs at 17 inches finished like the other one but with birdseye tip overlays.

Offline ken75

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 02:51:40 pm »
thanks josh , just made them , cherry shafts with 357 casings and wood screw tips

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »
Two nice CM bows Ken. I have to give CM a try. I love the pics of your bows at full draw.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 03:01:59 pm »
Sweet ken...but geez man, ya don't have to stand in the middle of the creek for some new background pics...lol ;)...and if your sick of the crepe myrtle,then cut some of that rhododendron I see in the background and give that a whirl ...I thinks me sees some

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 03:05:09 pm »
Great tiller! After all these years of making and breaking bows a well tillered bend in the handle bow to me is the perfect tiller. Nice. Very nice. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 03:14:11 pm »
Ken your bows always impress me. Very clean natural beauty in that one. and great tiller as always. Congratulations on another top notch  bow

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:38 pm »
Lookin good. Both bows are well done.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 03:46:22 pm »
Keep on kickin' that horse, Ken cause I never get tired of seeing your bows.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:47:36 pm »
John, Where Ken lives, rhodys don't grow. Too far south!  ;)  That must be bay magnolia.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »
Sweet bow... so it's not just me that loves the kneeling shot ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 04:44:27 pm »
Ken, have you tried the other CM, L. foreii(I think thats how it is spelled)  It has white flowers and a more reddish bark that seems to exfoliate more then the indica.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »
Thank goodness you went back to your usual stump for photos of the second bow.  I can't handle that much radical change, makes me uneasy.   >:D

As usual, Ken, those are some mighty fine arrow flingers.  Pure and simple, nice lines!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 05:33:19 pm »
Man Ken the beauty is in the simplicity! I can't quit shooting my twin to that one! I have even been known to string it and draw it a few times in my bedroom before bed. My wife just looks at me like I'm way off my rocker.
Caedmon doesn't even know that ones for him yet. I know he'll be so excited.
Mark

p.s. for you guys that have never tried it this crepe myrtle is some cool stuff. So light for the poundage. and smooth drawing, maybe it's just Ken's handy work though.
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)