Author Topic: Blacksmithing points at Camlann!  (Read 8532 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Blacksmithing points at Camlann!
« on: August 06, 2007, 04:08:04 pm »
Just started learning some blacksmithing skills at Camlan (Camlann.org).  Tim there (the blacksmith/armorer) was showing me how to draw out some iron. Not as hard as I thought it would be.  Next time he will be showing me how to make a socket and make bodkin points. I hope to be punching them out 60 an hour some day. He mentioned to me that a friend of his does this all the time and its all in getting down the procedure with multiple irons in the fire.  He is also going to be making a few of us a special anvils this winter that should speed up the process. What a great bunch of folks out there! If any of you are out near Duval, WA on the weekend you have got to drop by and see the place. Its a continual work in process and we hope to have the medieval tavern open in about three years and a number of new building up this year. Should be one for the blacksmith, one B&B, one for the bowyers and fletchers guild. We are all salivating over the tavern though!!!

David T.

P.S.: Their will be traditionaly made 1347 beer being produced there in Oak barrels!!! MMMMM!!!! BEEEEEERRRR!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

SimonUK

Re: Blacksmithing points at Camlann!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:25:36 pm »
You're very lucky having personal tuition DT.  Are those special anvils designed for arrowhead making? That's the one thing I need right now - a tapered point to wrap my sockets around.  Be sure to share with us everything you learn  :)

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:16:12 pm »
You got it Simon! Try to find a bik of the right size for your anvil. That should work as the form for making the socket. I'm going to end up making all the types eventually of the medieval heads if I can!

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

duffontap

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:04:39 pm »
Totally cool Dave.  Keep us posted on what happens up there.  I don't drink much beer, but I'd drink antifreeze if it came out of an oak barrel.

J. D.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 08:11:56 pm »
You got it JD!  ;D

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:12:22 pm »
Nice D.T,you'll be a rich man knocking out 60 an hour  ;D.
Durham,England

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:02:51 pm »
Nice D.T,you'll be a rich man knocking out 60 an hour  ;D.

At $10 per--you bet he would!  :o

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:53:58 pm »
Heck I will be happy if I can do four an hour let alone 60! Hmmm! Though I have to say $600 and hour sure is making my head swell! ;-)

Which one of the points brings the most money, do ya think?  ;D

David T

Offline Loki

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 07:32:11 pm »
That would be the fancy horse killers  ;D,Swallowtails can cost between £15 - £25!
Durham,England

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:46:32 pm »
Time to start practicing!  ;D