Author Topic: just cashe  (Read 1283 times)

Offline iowabow

just cashe
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
Sometimes it feels good to keep hitting stone.  Just used percussion on these and trying to walk the path of tower.  I like how he thins the point and then uses limited flaking.  I only broke one and thinned them all real nice.  I think I am going to make about 20 then start shaping them into my hunting points for next year.

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: just cashe
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:25 pm »
That's nice. I really wish I lived closer so I could come watch and learn.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:30 pm »
Ya I know what you mean.   I wish I had people around here to work with and learn from.

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:10:38 pm »
Man those look good. All I've been doing latly is spalling & making blanks. My secret or trick to thinning w/percussion? Ya have to keep trying. Don't be scared to break them. Isolated platforms not too strong, a clear path for the flake to travel, finger position,& speed . If it don't look right don't hit it. Make it right first.  Would love to break some rock one day.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:24 pm »
I have really changed my way of striking the platform from the past.  I found that my flakes make a pattern similar to yours if I hold the stone flat and strike almost straight down.  This will almost never step and will almost alway run past center.  If it did not go past center is was not prepared right. I started doing this after reading that post you made after mine on pressure flaking.   The cool thing is if you look at the preforms I think I have only 1 real step and that was never possible with the old technique.  I want to just make preforms now to really get this down. I will post a side view tomorrow.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:43:59 pm »
Happy it helped someone. I like watching others to see their technique.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:31:44 pm »
Nice cache there John! Most of em look like they'd work just like they are..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:23 pm »
 Oh man ! I see some fine points in those pieces of stone.
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington