Author Topic: Staves Galore! Holy Mackerel  (Read 5208 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Staves Galore! Holy Mackerel
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:26 pm »
i vote wait for me ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:43 pm »
Hi,

Been taking wood from under the power lines all over America for the last 20 years (especially since I started making flutes...never been bothered...seen lots of Police just drive on by...in Tallequah, OK. there was mile afer mile of cedar cut down and I got some beautiful cedar branch flutes from there and while I was getting some branches families were cutting and hauling as fast as they could...bet they were warm the next winter...oak, cedar, hickory and such...in Texas mesquite, in Arizona willow, in Montana ran from them little rattlers on the Crow Reservation and gave up on a purty branch...and on and on...but I guess you ought to do what you think is right...I think that since I look so old and crotchity that's why they don't mess with me much...

Rand:)

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:44 pm »
im curious, where are you?, you mentioned New England

Cambridge, NY
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »
oh, ok , a little far from me, but not to bad
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline EricWard

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »
heck put on hard hat and act like you belong there and no one will bother you i do it all the time

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
heck put on hard hat and act like you belong there and no one will bother you i do it all the time

Don't forget to bring a shovel to lean on.  That way they think you work for the state!  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:46 pm »

Don't forget to bring a shovel to lean on.  That way they think you work for the state!  Josh
You may need 6 more people leaning on shovels for that to work >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »
Press ganged the kids, 8 and 4, into helping collect some loglets today. There was a disappointing amount of cottonwood at first. Then we got to the Ash, Elm, Rock Maple, Black locust. I left the Maple and Cottonwood behind and got about 4 lengths of Ash, 1 length of Elm, 3 or 4 Lengths of Black Locust. Pretty much filled up the sedan with the kids and the logs. (The kids were opposed to walking the 5 miles back home or I could have fit more.)

Right after we'd filled the car to the brim I came up to a whole 'nother section of trimming and saw an ass load of Locust. I will need to round up a truck. I really cherry picked the lot, taking only really straight, knot free pieces.

We dropped off the logs back at home and went out again to a spot I know where there were a bunch of straight American Hornbeam saplings and harvested 3 of those. A month ago that spot yielded about a dozen very straight Red Osier Dogwood shafts.

Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 06:55:41 am »
I wouldn't leave the rock maple, IMHO its better than ash.  Josh

Offline nlester

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 01:38:15 pm »

Offline Ian.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:11 pm »
Hard hats, high vis, and a clip board and you can do anything.

Also Rock Maple is very good stuff.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 06:19:52 pm »
Yeah, I've got more Rock Maple than you can shake a, ahh, umm, stick at.