Author Topic: New here and working on my first bow.  (Read 8139 times)

Offline 15DLongbow

• I pretend to know what I'm doing.
New here and working on my first bow.
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »
Hi guys, Im new here and i've recently started a project to build my first bow. Right Now as it stands its a Red Oak Mollegabet style bow. anything i should be considering while making it and do i need to have a backing on it?

Offline Lone500

Re: New here and working on my first bow.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »
board bow or stave bow?
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:16:27 pm »
slow and steady will always win these races.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:25:27 pm »
Welcome to PA! Looking forward to seeing that first bow.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline 15DLongbow

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »
Its a Board bow not pefect but the grain is straight through the working limbs. Im planning on making this one nice and long in hope that its gonna be more forgiving probably 68-70" and My Goal is 50# at 28". So far all ive got is the handle cut out and about 90% done. I'm just wondering if its safe to saw down the length of the thin stiff limbs or if i should just take my time and surform and file it down?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:31:47 pm »
I would suggest skipping that style bow with red oak and your first bow. Go to poorfolkbows.com and build what he shows. Its easy and a good way to learn general skills before you tackle one of the tougher designs to tiller.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:40 pm »
Welcome and may the force be with you ::)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline 15DLongbow

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:38:21 pm »
The only reason i wouldnt want to build the bow he made on his site is that on the board i have, the grain wanders off the board on the tips so i really wouldnt want to have those sections bending. Thats kinda why i went with the Mollegabet style. Plus, I'm a sucker for a trial by fire.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:47:37 pm »
10-4! Have fun!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 15DLongbow

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:24:33 am »
Oh i will, I got the handle roughed out and the Riser's glued and clamped. Tomorrow im gonna start work on the limbs and then this weekend im gonna get to build a Tiller lol

Edit: also, Would it be looked down upon to use Alum. Arrows with this? or should i just go all out and make the Arrows aswell?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:30:52 am by 15DLongbow »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:37:12 am »
WELCOME! If you have access to wood arrow shafts thats how I would go but thats just me, I wouldnt look down on alum arrows though if you were in a pinch to shoot your new bow if she makes it. Post pics as you go! the guys on this site are some of the best in the world and can really help you succeed on your first bow! Good luck and keep us posted.

my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline 15DLongbow

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 06:06:31 pm »
I am planning on backing the Bow, I really dont want to use drywall tape cause it just seems wrong lol.

I've heard silk is supposed to make a good backing, but where would i get a silk strip in the length i need?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:18:13 pm by 15DLongbow »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »
Pretty sure that if you back it with drywall tape the powers that be will move this thread out of the bow section because this section is only for bows made from natural materials. Fair warning. Not saying you should or shouldn't do it but your project will be beyond the scope of this forum. i know that rawhide is a cheap, strong and often used backing. It might be worth considering if you want some extra insurance. make sure it's nice and thin like deer or goat hide, I've heard cow hide is too thick.

Offline 15DLongbow

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:52 am »
thats why i didnt want to back it with drywall tape..just doesnt seem to belong. lol

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 12:26:48 am »
Check your goodwill store. Get some old silk ties. Also check for womens dresses, slacks made from silk. Scarfs. You can find silk pretty easily. I have used other fabrics. I got a 'snake skin' print and cut it into strips. works fine.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.