Author Topic: Hickory-backed purpleheart  (Read 1664 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Hickory-backed purpleheart
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:11:06 pm »
hey guys, i just glued up a hick-backed purpleheart blank and i was wondering how narrow i can go with this thing.  it really feels heavy right now.  it is 64 ttt 1 3/4 to 1/2, taper starts 4 inch off the fades. trapped the hickory a bit :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory-backed purpleheart
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:16:43 pm »
Purpleheart is susceptable to fretting so I wouldn't go narrower than 1 1/2" and get the limbs to bend into the fades.  I have a piece of PH I've had for 10 years or more and a hickory backing. Looking forward to your progress.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:12 pm »
What kind of weight and draw you shooting for?
I have made several with that combonation and Pat is dead on about the fretting.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »
it is for my sister so around 40-45 at 27, shes a tough gal :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:56:15 pm »
I would leave it as wide has you have it now. How thick is the hickory?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:06:18 pm »
the hickory backing is 1/8 thick, i would be fine leaving it as is, possibly narrowing the tips a bit more.

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:53:59 pm »
Leave it as wide as you can and you might have better luck if you trap the back a little bit. I built a hic- backed purpleheart a couple of years ago and it fretted on me. It was 45# @ 26", 1.5" wide to midlimb, and 62" long. It still shoots good even though it has some frets. Purpleheart is just one of those woods that doesnt like to be bent. :)

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:11:16 am »
Thanks alot you guys :)i will be as cautious as i can and hope for the best :)  "nice smooth tiller. nice smooth tiller, nice smooth tiller" as i head out to the shed :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 06:15:15 am »
I've made a few elb's with that combo and you are on the right lines. Perfect tiller perect tiler perfect tiller......keep repeating! It's a great combo when you get the width just right. Very snappy when you manage to get the bow tillered without chyrsals.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:12:56 am »
Howah! Your pumping out bows at an industrial rate! I feel Lazy now just sitting here checking out your bows. :P

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:48:51 am »
Lookin good, so far. That should be a pretty one when she gets done. I can't wait to see the finished pics.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA