Author Topic: Calf Creek  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Will H

Calf Creek
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »
I just cant seem to get away from this style of point! I LOVE EM!!!  :laugh:  Anyway, heres an attempt at a calf creek thats almost 2" wide and real thin, and another basal notched point thats a little longer...I just couldnt help myself. ::)   Both are KY Blue  :) :) :)  Thanks fer lookin!
~Will
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:19:37 pm by Will H »
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Hooked on Basal Notching!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:46:02 pm »
O my will, that is so impressive! :o  Notching that deep is so far beyond my skill set I can't even conceive doing it. :-[

Awesome point.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »
Thanks George! I know what you mean fella ;) I felt the same way not 2 long ago. Just gotta keep breakin rock :) You've come a long way here lately, once you get your percussion skills down pat and start knocking out big preforms regularly you'll have it in the bag. Punch notching is easy compared to that. Knap on brotha! Knap on ;) :)
~Will
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:18:39 am »
Excellent notching and points!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:06 am »
Very impressive.

But if I can ask a stupid question...What is the point? Not for you but for the paleo people that made the originals? A would assume a point like that takes longer to make. And the 'ears' look like they could be knocked of real easily. If your next meal depends on getting a sharp rock into somethings breadbasket, why go to that trouble?

I think they are very nice looking, I just do not understand why someone would develop that.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:35:41 am »
Very nice!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:42:52 am »
Thanks Tracy!
Thanks Jimbob!

Beavan- Thank you. As for your question....There is some debate on what this point type was primarily used for. Predominately it is thought to be a knife blade. The deep notches provided an area to be hafted strongly while the long ears provided more cutting surface. On the other hand there is evidence that calf creek style points were used to some extent as projectile points. A man found a bison skull in the AR river near Tulsa, OK with a Calf Creek point embedded in it. It was most likely hafted on an atlatl dart. I know what you mean about going to the trouble of making a fancy point when any sharp point will get the job done. But I think our ancestors were very intelligent SKILLED people with more time on there hands to knap than you and I. They probably knocked em out alot faster than we could imagine. After all knappin was cutting edge technology back then, and man loves technology. Its what sets us apart from the rest of the animals.  ;)  Just my 2 cents. If anyone with more of an understanding wants to chime in PLEASE DO. Im just starting to get into this stuff.  ::)   :) :) :) 
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:49:06 am »
What a neat find!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:21:11 am »
will H ~ I agree.  I would venture a bett hat there may have been a micro industy.  Some trading to be sure.  Craftsmen can knock out items from their craft pretty quickly.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:40 am »
I smell another case full coming up shortly ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Calf Creek
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:57 am »
Man yer on it like a duck on a june bug!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 12:20:25 am »
You are a man focused on a goal! One of the most elusive points to find! I have a burned midden where I have found Castrovilles, Montelles,& Andices. The knappers who enhabited that encampment were master knappers! I have never found a complete Andice( calfcreek).  Its knappers like them I strive to be. Love your points you are fast becoming a great knapper.  Love the Andice ( calf creek)! KNAP-ON!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:26 am »
Heck yea your on it like a Shanon on fried taters and onions.  :D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:05:46 pm »
Heck yea your on it like a Shanon on fried taters and onions.  :D
Ohhh Yeeaa! ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 11:32:00 pm »
Another batch of gooders by Will H!!  Love them points Man and the cool pic of the skull!  What a throw w/ the atlatl dart huh?  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)