Author Topic: egg tan  (Read 21529 times)

jamie

egg tan
« on: August 07, 2007, 07:57:06 am »
3 hide egg tan wet scrape shirt. biggest pain in the butt was cutting all the lacing. need 2 more deer so i can do the leggings and be done. the breach clout and shirt were from last years deer.peace

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: egg tan
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:11:54 am »
That is a great looking shirt Jamie. How does the egg tan compare to brain tanning. Is it as durable.  I have been reading a loton tanning, and the commercial tans just don't seem to be able to produce as durable of a tan for clothing.  I'm sure the smoke has a lot to do with it. Maybe a tan along on the leggings would help.  ;D   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:55:48 am »
Cool shirt Jamie. Could you do an egg-tan-a-long? or at least give us some info abvout it.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 01:31:40 pm »
Cool, I've wanted to get a couple elk hides and do a Lewis and Clark type outfit.  A tan-along would be great.

J. D.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:38:41 pm »
this winter when the killin stops and i start tannin i'll do a how to. its just like brainin and feels the same. i need to get some more smoke in it and when the wallnuts start fallin im gonna darken it up with the walnuts. peace

Offline possum

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:05:02 pm »
oh goody, I knew my chickens were gonna come in handy...

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 03:42:43 pm »
oh goody, I knew my chickens were gonna come in handy...

possum

They're good to eat you know.  Taste just like rattlesnake.

J. D.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:31:02 pm »
Good target practice too.  The keep moving so the yardage is changing.  ;D And you dont need a license. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 12:19:23 pm »
Great stuff, Jamie. I egg-tanned one hide, and it turned out soft, but had a bit of a wierd crinkly feel compared to braintan-maybe I just didn't get all the membrane off that one.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 03:46:52 pm »
hillbilly do ya wet scrape or dry?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 04:11:24 pm »
Dry. I don't usually have enough time to wet-scrape. I can stretch one and scrape on it here and there 'til it's done.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 04:15:05 pm »
ya gotta do like me and wet scrape. then ya just get up at 3 am and spend an hour workin on it before ya go to work. lol >:(

Offline possum

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 04:17:28 pm »
OK, what is the egg tan?  What is the procedure?  Please.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

jamie

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »
instead of rubbing in brains you mix a dozen eggs into a half galon of warm water and soak the hide in the mixture. wring it out soak it again and so on for 4 or 5 times.

Offline possum

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 05:28:28 pm »
oh.

you sure?  That's too simple.  I'll have to add a few steps to make it more difficult.

Let's see...
1.)  You need to chase the chicken around a when you catch it you need to squeeze the egg out before it forms the shell.
2.)  If it comes out with the shell on you must pell the shell off the membrane with rupturing the membrane. ;D

See?  Now that seems like it may be difficult enough.

possum

mebane NC