Author Topic: Spring Turkey Hunting- Anyone?  (Read 15020 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Spring Turkey Hunting- Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »
I got my jr bowhunting liscense last year and called in a hen that I couldn't shoot and watched her walk all ofer me, hopefully I'll hav better luck this year

Hens can often be harder to fool than the gobbler.  After all, she has the instincts to take care of herself and her brood.  The gobbler is just looking for sex!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 08:15:40 am »
This will be my third year with selfbow in hand. Short shot one two years ago and shot over Tom's back last year. Maybe I've ranged in for this year. I got a jake with my flintlock a few years ago, but the stick keeps calling me now!
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 09:17:24 pm »
I got a jake with my flintlock a few years ago, but the stick keeps calling me now!

I have got a few with both flintlock and matchlock... now I REALLY want to use a stick.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 04:41:28 pm »
I am going after gobblers this spring.  Go visit my brother in Lagrande and we will head out.  I can't wait till he sees my short 40" turkey ambush bow (hupa replica in process).  I always give him a hard time about his shot on a pronghorn from a blind, where his 62" bob lee recurve tip hit the top of the blind. He shot it in the head, but wasn't aiming there.  Fell over dead. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 11:43:05 pm »
LMAO!  Only problem with claiming you meant to make a shot like that is you can never do it again!!!

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 10:09:37 pm »
I'll be huntin em here in Massachusetts this year with a friend, both first time huntin turkeys with a bow. Good luck to everyone!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 03:45:00 am »
You might want to try one of these new 'moble' blinds... >:D >:D >:D

I have done that 2 times...no fun
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »
Was out again this morning!  I was calling for a friend of mine and she had a blast!  We worked 5 different birds, nearly got run over in a whitetail deer stampede, and had a hen come RUNNING in to kick my keister!  The best set up was all bad and the gobbler hung at 65 yds strutting for an hour and a half. 

Yeah!  It was THAT much fun!  Can't wait to go again!

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:04 pm »
Getting a 4 day hunt in this memorial day, pretty confident.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »
  Good luck
 Our season just ended SAT I had awesome season and a great last day. I did'nt kill any gobblers but I shot through a ones fan and missed one takeing off 12 yards last day.
 Before I tell you this you got to remember I hunt farm gobblers. And the really visable.
  I hunted 20 times Iuse'lly never miss a day but it rained and wind blew hard
  a few days. I called up 12 long beards to with in 20 to 40 yards easy shoot gun shots. I did'nt keep count but at least 60 or 70 rifle shots under 200 yards. I also called up 15 jakes all under 20 yards. Had 6 at 8 yards really kicked UDALES BUTT my jake decoy. They let the air out of him. He's a blow up. My best day for sighting was 21 ,19 the next day.
  Shot through one fan struting away at 12 yards the third from the last day. And had a last day in call ups and sighting like no other. Saw 12 gobblers called up 8 to with in 15 yards missed one takeing off flying at 12 yards. I did call up 2 that a gut and
  Not neanly the seasons in the past in kills. But I did call up and a guy I know and his son each killed (SHOOT GUN). I saw the most gobblers I've ever seen 102 on just my 2 farms I manage. 
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stickbender

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »

Good luck to all.  But if you really want to go primitive, use a bolo! ::) ::) :P ;D ;D ;D
                                                   Wayne