Author Topic: Huisachi ?  (Read 6693 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Huisachi ?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:51:40 am »
I am sorry Pat your post got hijacked. For what it is worth, if I wanted my bows to make sense on paper I would calculate my pretaper  thickness and throw fiberglass on the back of it. It works every time!!!! Sorry blackhawk, I am a smarta--, it is in my nature. (p.s. I am only 31)

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:25 am »
Why do I get ragged on every time I bring this up ::)...n its always by folks who have never tried it. Ya can't say ya don't like something if you've never tried it before. I understand to each his own..but....just saying. And its not even close to making a FG bow. It just helps you simply to make a better selfbow. Each piece of wood has a different density,even in its own species. I only bring it up because there might be someone out there reading it that might like to give it a try.

I don't wanna hijack and get into a full blown debate here..so please don't take me to seriously ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:15 am »
 I cut a 10" log and brought it home a couple of years ago. I left it to dry on the concrete slab by my shop and it sprouted green limbs in two weeks. ??? I never did split and use it, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:49 am »
Nice weather we're having isn't it?  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 09:43:46 am »
It's beautiful out!

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 09:51:23 am »
It sure is... ;D....n how about those .........<----insert local sports team... :laugh:

Hey pat where are the pics man?  ;)  I've never heard of this wood before..so id like to see it.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:49 am »
It's cold here today, but no wind. I think I'm on lesson 76 in phonics today. And living and nonliving thing in science.  >:D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:50 am »
  No one has to appologize to me. Healthy debate is what keeps this obsession of ours going. This is how we find out about different aspects of wood bow building. I'm just happy we have so much information availasble to anyone that wants to look for it.
 I've read and get the basics of Steve Gardner's Mass Theory but haven't specifically put it to practice even though some of my methods parallel Steve's theory. It is excellent info from a guy that has studied wood bows and has worked with some of our modern wood bow experts like Tim Baker, Paul Comstock, etc.  We all do things a bit differently from each other and that keeps the juices flowing and the wood chips flying.
  I'll take a few pics of the huisachi today and post them. I removed the bark yeaterday as Cipriano suggested due to possible insect infestation and I sealed the wood with shellac. The bark reminded me of red maple, smooth and a grayish coloration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »
  Made a been in the handle bow 50 inch sinewed for a guy back in 95. 50#@26 I was impressed no set or string follow and how snapy it was.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »
Never heard of the wood but looking forward to seeing what you come up with Pat.  Eddie did you plant it. ;) ;D ;D  Steve is going to be at the Classic this year
and stay in the cabin with me,I have never tried his system but plan on picking his brain while he is with me  live,I do better that way rather than reading
something. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 12:42:49 pm »
I'm the same way Pappy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52:01 pm »
While everyones crowding around steve..ill be the lonely quiet guy in the corner minding my own business tillering per mass on a stick o wood.  ;)...hahaha...riiiiiight...me quiet ::) if any of you guys wanna see how its done and steve has his hands full,ill have my scale with me and can help with what I know n how I do it. Id be glad to share....but steve wood know more than me  ;)

Got that stick bending yet Pat ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 02:01:51 pm »
Drum roll, please!  ;D  Here are a few pics. This piece has a few issues but when did a wood bow builder ever see that as a barrier.  ;)  I'm looking forward to working this stuff. As heavy as it is and as dense as it is it can't be bad.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:10 pm »
I cant wait to see what comes out of that log!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 02:14:37 pm »
Have you decided whether you're going to saw that in half, split it, or just go with 1 bow from it?  Looks like a good project.

George
St Paul, TX