Author Topic: Huisachi ?  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Huisachi ?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:21:32 pm »
George, I considered sawing it in half and binding it back together with spacers between the two halves. I've done that with osage poles and it worked well. Not kowing anything about this wood I want to do whats best for it. Any suggestions?  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 02:42:09 pm »
Yikes...this oughta be gooooood ;)....can't wait to see this one  :D....id say saw it in half if you can and have room to do so. And make a reflex bow with one half,and take advantage of the deflex piece for a R/D profile. That's my vote.  8)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:52 pm »
...Any suggestions?  :-\

Sorry, no.  I have no idea what'd be best.  I'm a white wood novice.  I still haven't worked my crepe myrtle stave. :-[   I'd for sure be trying to preserve that relex, though that big knot is intimidating.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »
Pardon Sir,

Did you notice if the bark looked straight grained or was it twisted?
Huisache has a tendency to twist a bit when growing.

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 03:29:50 pm »
Gus, I didn't examine the bark closely just looked at it. Nothing jumped out at me but it is pretty smooth bark so it wouldn't be obvious. I'll clean up the sapwood a bit and get in some good light and examine it closely. I can handle some twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:08 am »
WO now that is one ugly piece of wood, ;) :) :) I have faith you can bring out the best in it,looks like a very challenging piece of wood.  :) Good luck and keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good