Author Topic: some oooga booga ponderin'  (Read 41355 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: some oooga booga ponderin'
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 01:44:20 pm »
i eat grubs and other crawly things on a regular basis so cow nuts cant be that bad. not gonna run out and look for em but id try em. what a screwed up topic this turned into  ;D

aint that the truth. anyone ever ate stingray?
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2009, 02:17:24 pm »
  Yep, a lot. It's good, kinda sweet tasting.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2009, 02:33:03 pm »
kool. we caught one last weekend but the older men we were fishing with didnt want to mess with it so we had to let it go.
lets just shoot it

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2009, 03:00:49 pm »
ray wings are better than venison!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 06:50:09 pm »
     Recurve Shooter;
     Supposedly, a lot of your "scallops" in restaurants, are sting ray wings.  They make a beautiful leather also.  I have seen some at the gun show, and they were beautiful.  They buff the little nodules, and denticles down, and they have a neat pattern.  I was thinking about buying one but they wanted too much for them.  Now that I am retired I've gotten tighter than a crab's butt, and that is water proof! ;D

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 11:15:17 pm »
  Unless you are a total dumb a$$ from up North, there is no comparison with Bay Scallops. And I know there isn't of chance of Louisiana having them. You need clear water with grass,,, long gone there. the skins make excellent handle wraps, and I will trade for some skins.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2009, 01:02:48 am »
They make great Motorcycle Seats too....so count me in on the Skins....I bet I can come up with a good trade
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jamie

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2009, 05:18:29 am »
a buddy of shoots close to 40 a season. Ill make sure he gets me some skins.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2009, 12:11:11 pm »
hey, all i want to do is eat one of em. i dont even know what the heck a scallop is supposed to be.
lets just shoot it

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2009, 03:16:31 pm »
We are starting to get scallops back but it will take a long time to lift the harvest ban.On rays we have several kinds here,is one skin better than others?When the cow-nose rays come through there are hundreds.they are 2' + - and a dark brown.The big a** hamerheads are out there right now folllowng the tarpon.Ol' Hitler sightings in Boca Grande already.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2009, 04:17:45 pm »
I've eaten cow brains before, pretty bland.  Head cheese is good but I prefer cortons, made from pork kidneys, ground pork and tripes.  Used to like blood pudding when I was young but you just can't find good blood pudding anymore
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sailordad

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2009, 06:32:45 pm »
scallops,mmmm

ray,mmm

shark,mmm

cow brains,heart,mmmm

chickens feet,mmmmmm

head cheese,MMMMMMMMMM

rocky mtn oysters,dont care for them just like real oysters dont much care for them either, but have tried both
you guys got anything that is nasty?

june bugs,taste like mayo to me.

hell i have even eaten a northern pike heart while it was still beating,frog while it was still alive
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickbender

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2009, 07:26:46 pm »

Yep real scallops are a lot tastier, but if you notice sometimes the scallops you get are all the same size......like a cookie cutter......You can tell the difference by the grain of the meat also.
We still have scallops over here on the east coast, used to see the boats going out Ft. Pierce inlet and come back loaded with them.
I don't know if they are still harvesting them now or not.  I have never been a great fan of scallops, but oysters I love.  Raw, steamed, fried, stewed, etc.  But just a word of caution, eat no shell fish, raw, or steamed !  I have a friend who is an epidemiologist, and she said there is not a bed in the US that is not polluted.  And steaming only kills the animal, not the bacteria.  stewing, or boiling, and frying will kill the bacteria.  So you can safely enjoy them cooked that way.  Man, can you imagine the leather from a giant Manta Ray?  Well, now we have a trade item for anyone who has the ability to catch sting rays.  It's like Trigger fish. Most people throw them away.  There was a guy who used to wait at the docks for the drift boats, and get all the Trigger Fish, that no one wanted.   I know my neighbors son had the chance for a large portion of fresh caught Grouper, and he opted for the Trigger fish.  There is a nice white fillet that runs along each side of the back bone.  In the Virgin Islands, there is a museum on St. Croix, called the Whim house, and it has Trigger fish skins, that were used for sanding floors, and wood products. ;)

Wayne

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
Living on the coast-ive caught hundreds. They were always a pain because they take your bait and you have nothing to show for it. I might have to start saltwater fishing again for bow handles...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline jamie

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2009, 09:13:14 pm »
dont fish for rays. Use your bow and shoot em! =)

waterbury, ct