Author Topic: Oogabooga hand drill fire photos  (Read 22908 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: Oogabooga hand drill fire photos
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 04:03:51 pm »
I am really itchin to try that. So dang cool or should I say hot. For a beginer which is easier bow or hand drill? What are some good substitutes for a spindle? Will erc work for a hearthboard, sapwood or heartwood? Hope you don't mind all the questions. Thanks.
Btw I love the fur coat! Got one just like it! Keep me Cro-Magnon warm at night! Me also want make fire keep woman warm at night! ;) :D

I think bow drill's easier for the beginner (at least was for me) cause you don't have to be picky or very strong ;). Aspen, ash (sapwood), cottonwood, poplar, birch, maple, yucca, and I'm sure I missed quite a few. Just stay calm and the coal will come easily :).

jamie

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 08:44:45 pm »
get apiece of red oak board and a cedar arrow or better yet an ash arrow and do the hand drill for a week. then get a poplar or cedar board with horseweed or mullien. itll smoke right up and you'll of conditioned your muscles. same goes for the bow drill. peace

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:20 pm »
Well, I finally got a coal with the hand drill this morning. Being inspired by Hillbilly and jamie, I'd been practicing for a week or two now, reading whatever I could. Finally using a handicap did it (a thumbs-loop string of rawhide over the top to keep pressure while simply spinning). GOt a nice big coal in around 45 seconds or so (my muscles still can't go too long :)). It was a aspen fireboard, golden rod drill (ran outta seasoned mullien and gae a broken arrow a try), and deer rawhide string. Now I gotta practice even more ;D!

jamie

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 05:24:19 pm »
congrats. try what i said. it'll develop the muscles and calluses. peace

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 12:13:26 pm »
Congratulations, it's pretty amazing to see it work, ain't it? It's also amazing how tired your arms and chest muscles get spinning up a coal. Saving your energy until you really need it is the key. It helps if you get your spindle mated with the hearth, cut your notch, and give it a break for a minute or two. Then take it kind of easy and save your energy until you get smoke. When you start getting thick smoke, lay hell on it with all you've got. I like to make a couple passes even after I see smoke coming from the dust pile, just for insurance and to make a fatter coal.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 05:15:31 pm »
Jamie- I'll have to give that try, it'll make it alot easier (and I got to turn these little blisters into callouses).

Hillbilly- Using a string over the top made it work almost like the bow drill (constant pressure and spinning) made it easier (and the cord needn't be as strong as one for the bow drill, a real plus).

Here is my second I got this morning. Gotta practice some more, but I at least know my first wasn't a fluke ;D and the kit I got it going with. More practice, this is fun :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 05:22:22 pm »
                 Ya burnin' me up !hahaha !  Good work ! ;D..bob

DBernier

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 08:40:24 am »
Hillbilly can speak for the hand drill. I know it is a good collaboration of drill and board. Hard on my hands. I have used the bow drill a lot and my materials are a vine board, Oak bow with modern hemp twine (cordage does not last long) and a vine hand bearing. I also have a couple of antler hand bearings. use a bit of tallow to lube them. Works well for me. Course, my favorite is flint and steel. People are amazed when you do either and make fire. But to do it "out there" is the ultimate feeling of accomplishment.

Dick

Offline Kegan

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 04:53:25 pm »
Between the two, I prefer the hand drill now. The bow dril, though easier to learn, sees more difficult in actual practice (but like I said, I am using the finger loops). It just required a little more practice, and an up keep of callouses (the little blisters are now stiff hard callouses). But, the biggest plus is a 6" long, 1/4" thick fireboard of aspen has lasted longer than a 12" long, 1/2" bow drill fireboard- and spindles get used up even faster :). But I still need lots of practice ;D!!

From my limited experience with thehand drill (so far only four coals) and bow drill (only four or five dozen coals, no where near the hundreds of those proficient in the skill) it's been pretty difficult to keep up with making new parts (drills and strings especially). It is a terrific back up, but I've fallen for the hand drill like I've fallen for D bows- simplicity wins :).

I love this stuff. I'm just glad I don't have to buy any more matches ;).