Author Topic: My first elb  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: My first elb
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 11:49:13 am »
ELB? Eastern long bow? What does that stand for?

English  long bow.   Josh

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 01:51:40 am »
English long bow
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »
Well i heat treated the bow today. It took about an hr and a half. It now has 1/8 " of reflex. This was about as much as i felt comfortable bending the bow backwards while heat treating. No black on the bow, all a nice dark brown. How long do i need to let the bow sit before I can string it again? I know hickory changes in moisture content slowly. The bow's dimentions are small , however. Just over an inch wide tapering to 1/2 in at the nocks. It's about an inch thick at the handle. Thanks for all the help so far. The limb that was slightly stiffer will be the bottom limb and will also be gripped lower than the top. I hope the tiller stays good after heat treating. I'm pretty excited to get this one finished and get finished pics up. Thanks again.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »
I've screwed up too many bends by flexing them too soon :(, so I leave it 3 days now.
Three days feels like a month while you are waiting, but better safe than sorry IMO.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 04:16:59 am »
Well the heat treating turned out well. Thanks to all for the advice of fixing the tillering. Here's what I ended up with

Draw weight gained: 6 lb.
Set after unstrung for 1 hr: 3/4 in.
It has an english chestnut stain on it and I've been putting light coats of a spray on satin urethane finish. I'll probably have the finish done and a handle on it tomorrow. I'll post finished pics as soon as I can.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter