Author Topic: Building the footed arrow dvd  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Stefan

Building the footed arrow dvd
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:17 am »
Hey All,

Every now an then a thread about footed arrows is started. I try to pitch in but the only way I can help is to tell how I do it, I have no idea if that the right way (the arrows turn out ok)..I am thinking about purchasing the dvd Building the footed arrow. It ain't cheap and I have to ship it to the Netherlands.

Does anybody own it and is it worth its money??

My second question

In this thread http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3240.15.html , Arrowmaker is talking about a 3 wing footing. Does anybody make them? Can imagine it's tricky. Would love to see a photo...I might PM Arrowmaker (fred)

Greetings

Stefan

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

mikekeswick

Re: Building the footed arrow dvd
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:43 am »
How do you make your footed arrows?
I have made a jig for my router which allows me to machine 4 footed splices, in both the shaft and footing. Once it's adjusted right it's just a case of rotating the shaft/footing 90 degs and make a pass. The jigs aren't the easiest things to make but are worth the effort once done. The splices just slot together for gluing. Then I can reduce the square footing again with the router to perfectly round and straight in about 5 seconds.
I have done quite a few with mainly hand tools and found the first dozen were fun then it quickly turns tedious and becomes easy to lose accuracy.
Do you know what method they use in the dvd?

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:43:30 am »
Hi mikekeswick,

I use a bridgeport mill,  and turn the shaft 90 degrees after each pass. Made my own jig. I would like to see your set up for reducing the shaft that fast.

I don't know anything about the methods used in the dvd.

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »
I have the DVD. Lots of info in it. Both for 2 and 4 point footings. As well as tapering shafts.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:12:49 pm »
Hi guys

I have been making my shafts with the little veritas dowel maker so they have the square ends on the nock end.    After the footing has been glued on the other end and reduced with a plane as far as I dare, the square nock end serves to easily spin the shaft w/ a makeshift drill lathe and ratchet end - sanding as I go.  Stefan indicated in the other post that he used masking tape to keep from sanding to far.  I will try that.

I tried running thru the dowel maker again, but the footing did not come out perfectly centered to the shaft. 

I would love to see what your router set up looks like.

I don't know the method used in the DVD either.    I too was looking at getting it.  Also interested in the medieval arrow video.   

3 wing foot - I never saw that before - sounds interesting - not sure how you would even cut the footing - shaft seems easy enough (same as 4 but with a 120 spin), but the footing I cant grasp my little mind around. 

Those spiral footing from that thread are awesome (so is that greek mythology looking arrow (spear) head) .  Do you know, does he twist them inside of some jig, or does he do it freehand?  After all the work to foot an arrow - it would take a large sack to then go and twist them.  Very nicely done.     

Russ

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 05:10:00 am »
No need for a jig when making a spiral footing if you ask me. I Glued the footing with titebond III, use steam, use those rubber arrowpullers for grip, just twist and check if its still aligned with the shaft.

Leonardo