Author Topic: Any other Robert Jordan fans? Fantasy bow question  (Read 2153 times)

Offline k-hat

Any other Robert Jordan fans? Fantasy bow question
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:48:01 pm »
So i've been thinking of making a Two Rivers longbow ala the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series.  It's basically an ELB, but in the book they use Black Yew.  There's lots of stuff in the series that isn't in the real world, but i can't figure out if he intends just a variety of yew that would look like the yew we know, or if it would have had black sapwood/heartwood like ebony or other natural black woods.

Any fans out there have thoughts?  maybe this wood be better in the warbow section?

Offline PatM

Re: Any other Robert Jordan fans? Fantasy bow question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »
 No matter what you decide to make, you won't be "wrong".

Offline Qwill

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:42 pm »
Just for fun: Wych elm, with dark, scaly bark and heartwood and interlocking grain ("That braided grain was what gave bows made from it such power, twice what any other wood could give.") Elm is definitely more "braided grain" than yew: Pacific Yew, at least where I live, has dark outer bark, very dusty, until you peel of the outer layer. Growing in dark patches of fir, it could be considered "Black". Or possibly 'black" refers to the poison nature of the yew, and is a colloquialism used by the Two Rivers folk?  OR: make up your own reason, like Jordan made up the tree.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:47:23 pm »
I like your thinking Pat! 

Thanks Qwill, didn't know that about wych elm, but you definitely know your Jordan :)

What i considered doing was an osage elb with horn nocks and staining the wood black if it was indeed a black wood.  Thought it might look perty nice to boot.

Appreciate the input, figured most people would be like . . .  ??? Jordan who?
 :)

Offline Lone500

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
two rivers black yew longbow is simply a reference to the english yew longbow.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »
You could always use some black stain on your yew... >:D *ducks the incoming barrage of thrown rocks*

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:53:05 am »
Nice Weylin, don't let Del see this!!!

Actually, while it is a throwback to the standard ELB, it does have a Jordan twist to it.  I went back and perused the page i just read a few days ago where Mat bought a black yew stave from a shopowner who didn't know what she had.  He asked her what she wanted for the "black stick".  Obviously downplaying the value, but definitely confirming the color for us.  Don't know how i missed it before!

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 01:06:51 am »
No reason you can't stain/finish yew or some other wood darker, as has already been suggested.

There is apparently somethign called black yew pine; no idea if it's a proper bow wood or not, or how closely related it is to European or Pacific yew:

http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/P/Prumnopitys_taxifolia/

Maybe RJ (may he rest in peace!) took the idea from that existing tree?
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)