Author Topic: SA Bow and Arrows  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
SA Bow and Arrows
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:38:08 pm »
I was brought this set for repairs yesterday and I thought some of you would like to see it.  The bow is made of Palm and is about 5' long.  It's very slim, about 1" wide and maybe 3/4" deep, and is a D section bow.  The string is natural fibre and just over 1/8" in diameter and heavily twisted.  The string is taught at a very low brace and I pulled it back to about 12" or so and you can tell it has a high draw weight to it.  The arrows are almost the same length as the bow and 2 of them are made of some type of reed and footed with barbed points for fishing.  The other arrow is made of Bamboo, or cane, not sure what the point is made of or what it would be used for.  The serving on the arrows is very neat.  The spear is about 4' long, is made of very dense wood and has an intricately woven covering.  You can tell a lot of attention to detail was spent on this whole set.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bcbull

Re: SA Bow and Arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »
pretty cool marc  i like thAT STRING  HOW MUCH HEAVEYIER OR STRONGER DO U THINK THE STRING IS   COMPARED TO OUR B 50 ? BROCK

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 02:14:04 pm »
That is cool.  I love jungle tackle.  I was just wondering, does the long-arrow type coincide with jungle habitats, or are/was long arrows common in arid parts of the world too?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:27:14 pm »
Very cool archery set and spear, Marc. Thanks for posting it.   8)
  Are both arrows 2 fletched?   Sometimes those blade type arrow points were used for hunting monkeys and ground animals. Are the edges sharp? Could it be made from a palm frond(leaf stem)? I have seen that material used before.
  The weaving on the spear is way cool. must have been a favorite or for something special.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »
Awesome pics.  I love the fletching and the detailed craftsmanship.  Someone took some time.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:52:57 pm »
thats some cool stuff there...thanks for posting it marc  :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:15:35 pm »
I couldn't say for sure if the string material is stronger than B50 but I would tend to think not. 

I think long arrows are common world wide and not just in tropical areas

Pat;  All the arrows are 2 fletched.  I don't know what the blade is on the Bamboo arrow but the edge is fairly sharp.  I've never seen a Palm frond so couldn't say if that is what it is.

I took a few more picture with a different background

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 06:19:59 pm »
Marc, palm fronds are cimicircular in cross section and that blade looks to have a cimicircular cross section too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 08:43:19 pm »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 10:25:49 pm »
Marc thanks for sharing. That's an amazing looking set.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.