Author Topic: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow  (Read 275304 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 04:58:37 am »
When ever I need quick advice or info your buildalongs are my first port of call. Have considered printing and laminatng then just incase they go missing!
Very happy to see that your doing another as I am a massive fan and your work is nothing short of inspiring. Was a nice surprise to see this at 5.am this morning with the boy feeding in one hand, missus snoring away whilst I view PA using my sparring hand on my phone.:)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 05:10:25 am »
Great post, looking forward to following along

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 10:54:28 am »
Thanks, Gordon. I'll be watching. I sometimes get in such a hurry wanting to see my end product, I tend to rush things. Following your build a longs helps me to remember, 1 step at a time...No hurry... Thanks so much for taking the extra time for this...
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline snag

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 03:03:13 pm »
As always, very well done. This step by step answers question. I think I'll have to build some blocks for tillering also. I wondered about using steam vs dry heat. It makes sense to steam early and then use dry heat later. Thanks Gordon.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
Incredible as always Gordon... I have a feeling that this build along will be referred to for many years as invaluable resource, similar to your un-matched hazelnut build-along.

Jon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 03:24:20 pm »
Thank you for all the supportive comments guys.

toomanyknots, I don't think you need groves if the tips are wide enough and the curves not too radical.

Dave, I don't think dry heat would work well putting in curves in yew wood - the belly would likely crack. I'll boil the tips to be on the safe side. Stay tuned...

Jon, thank you for the compliment. The thing about these build-a-longs is you can never be sure of the outcome. If you get a decent bow out of it you're a hero. If the bow breaks, well, no one will remember it after a few weeks. If I was smarter about it I would wait until the bow was finished before posting, but you lose that sense of immediacy and anticipation. It's kind of a crap shoot...
Gordon

Offline PeteC

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »
Excellent job Gordon!! Lookin' forward to the next installment. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 04:32:12 pm »
i see some thing good coming up...if i remember right i think it has been awhile since you have some yew...i cant wait for the end result....john

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:06 pm »
Bend or break it Gordon! i wanna see either way :) Great work so far, thanks for posting!

NNB
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »
Gordon,

You have done it again. That hazel build is a favorite to look at. I commend you for "passing it on." I know it's a lot of extra work to do that and explain your steps, but it is much apreciated.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 10:24:24 pm »
There is a to take out of this, just by watching the pictures closely.  I really like your set up for correcting alignment at the handle.  Using the leather pads, the pipe clamp and the bench vice.  It might seem simple, but to me that represents a lot of carefull thought.

Thanks Gordon.

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 11:01:56 pm »
  I like your attitude Gordon, building a bow in real time is reality, your a good bow builder and it will probably come out great but you never know till your done. Steve

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 02:47:36 am »
Thank you so much for sharing these, Gordon. If you threw together 10 such build-alongs you could publish an invaluable book.

As a newcomer to bowcraft, your posts are extremely appreciated!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:37 am »
I’ve found that making large bends in yew works best using boiling water.  After one hour of boiling I place the end in my form and bend it to shape. I lay a strip of rawhide over the belly while I am bending to prevent splinters from rising. You have to perform this maneuver quickly or the wood will begin to cool and resist bending. You have about 15 seconds to get it done. I leave the end in the form overnight so that the wood will dry out while bent. If you remove the bow from the form too soon, the wood will regain some of its original shape.

Next up – more floor tillering and preparing sinew.
Gordon

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 01:25:26 am »
awesome :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"