Author Topic: bummed  (Read 18518 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
bummed
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:07:05 pm »
i realize this will stir the pot , and im not taking away from any current participants or winners . however its strange to see a grand total of 11 bows combined between the two contest. now i dont have any suggestions and maybe bow builds are a little off right now due to other obligations , but maybe some discussion could be had about the current status of bom. i enjoy looking at and voting for the combined effort of my fellow brothers of the bow .

Offline Ifrit617

Re: bummed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »
I know I said this before but I agree.

Jon

P.S. just wanted to add that I vote every time....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:27:23 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:57:18 pm »
It is a shame, Ken. Folks are always excited about BOM. Why don't they post bows and send their info to Cipriano to help keep BOM going.  Is it just because they have to send in the info now? Pretty pathetic excuse IMO!  ::)
...or at least vote for BOM. How hard is that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »
Its not hard at all.  I voted and continue to vote.  In fact, I have a special bow that's almost ready.  Need others to join the party!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:53:28 pm »
I have been super busy lately and haven't built a bow in over a year. It really is pathetic. You know what else is pathetic, We have over 5000 registered members and 68 people voted.  :o I think things beside building are off.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 09:04:30 pm »
I build a bow every two weeks or so. Most look pretty much the same so I dont always post them. I do vote every month without fail!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:09:09 pm »
I don't do much work in the garage in the winter, I guess I'm just a wuss.  Hopefully I can get back at it soon.

Regarding the number of entries - I personally find it a lot easier to vote now.  When there were months in the past that had 50-60 bows between the two categories to choose from, it just took too much time to go through each one to see which ones I liked the most (although the decision can be just as hard with 4 bows).

I haven't entered a bow since subscribing to the magazine last summer, but I don't see anything wrong with having to show a little support by subscribing, to possibly have your bow grace it's pages.  A subscription is dirt cheap and it helps keep this forum up and running.  And that's just fine with me.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:41 am »
i checked with Cipriano today , you only have to send him the subscription # once ,and he keeps a record of it . i was under the impression you had to send your bow link and # for each bow. maybe more misunderstood like myself

justin , its amazing out of the 5000 registered users the same hundred or so are active , on the old board when you could go down the user list , i would scroll through there from time to time and it was amazing how many had registered and never posted .

Pearly , i enjoy the contest ...voting and seeing the bows , i however dont make purty bows and never considered myself in the running because of the lack of finish work. i went through a phase of trying everything i could think of designs ,lengths ,style , dreaming up trilam bellys before i knew they existed already, meshing different styles together to get the best design elements and between that and swing shift it didnt leave much time for chrome and pin stripes. maybe one day though

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:56 am »
Here's my 2 cents-I hope the BOM is always around and I do always vote,I been coming to this site since 06 and its been real inspirational and fun.I only build 2-3 bows a year,thats all I have time for,some bows are just plain jane some have a good wow factor but I don't think they can compete with the bowyers that crank out these masterpieces so I don't post many.Don't mean to sound whiney,just my thoughts-Hammertime

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:24 am »
Guilty!!

I am a relatively new member and bowyer and don't really feel qualified to chose. I mean, I can tell which one I like best, or that is the prettiest, but since I am not an experienced bowyer, I am not knowledgeable enough to the amount of work involved, so I didn't cast a vote. I guess I felt like it would be fair to the guy or gal that put in the most effort. Maybe that's the wrong opinion, but that's why I didn't vote.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:16 am »
 As far as, " my bows aren't good enough to compete". Nobody is going to make fun of them ::) Some years I might finish 4 or 5, others 1. But I post them all. I like the criticism and like to see how they fair in the voting. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to win but I can't count how many times I've come up short.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 01:15:40 am »
I've posted every bow I've made since I joined, knowing that most had no chance at all.  I also vote each month and I have no criteria other than what strikes my fancy.  I learn a ton from the people who build the bows that win.  It's helped me a lot, particularly in finishing, though I'm still not in the league of some of the guys here.  Still great fun.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:16 am »
Reading over this thread I am renewed with faith in our forum members sense of community and unity. One common characteristic was a desire and a hope for BOM to continue. Amen to that! I am also encourage by the candor and honesty by you all.

It's true. Life is busy and keeps getting busier, but if we want the things that ar near and dear to us about this forum to not just survive, but to thrive then we must all be active participants.

We all have something to offer. Everyone of us. We are all special a d gifted with different gifts, but one thing rings true for all of us. Our love of primitive archery. It's that love that makes us a collective body with one desire which is to pass on the legacy of primitive archery.

Last week I taught my students the fable, The Three Bulls and the Lion with the moral of the story being united we stand. Divided we fall. I have chosen to graze with you all in unity.

It took me over five years to join this forum because I didn't think I had anything to offer. I believed that until I stummbled upon the trading post.. I was like a hungry kid in a candy store jen I joined. Those of you that know me must know hat I have an uncanny ability to "gather and aquire" raw materials. I can't make bows like Ken, Pappy, Pat a d the list will go on and on--- BUT I can gather  :laugh:

Cipriano 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:05 pm »
I will make a promise to all my faithful PA friends. Every single bow I build from here on out will be entered regardless of what I think about it. I will do my part to keep it alive and healthy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:52:08 pm »
I will make a promise to all my faithful PA friends. Every single bow I build from here on out will be entered regardless of what I think about it. I will do my part to keep it alive and healthy!
I'm a step ahead of you on that part.  As you can see by the last bows I submitted, if I post 'em on the forum , I will submit 'em. If for nothing else than to make the quality bowyers look even better.  Now if we could just get more members to vote. 
Guilty!!

I am a relatively new member and bowyer and don't really feel qualified to chose. I mean, I can tell which one I like best, or that is the prettiest, but since I am not an experienced bowyer, I am not knowledgeable enough to the amount of work involved, so I didn't cast a vote. I guess I felt like it would be fair to the guy or gal that put in the most effort. Maybe that's the wrong opinion, but that's why I didn't vote.

Nonsense Sir! You are a member, you are qualified!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:55:34 pm by Gun Doc »