Author Topic: bummed  (Read 18547 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: bummed
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 06:44:39 am »
I think you are right Ken,Just a little getting use to ,no one likes change but sometimes it's for the best. :) Sure some nice ones in the bows of the year that's for sure.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:16 pm »
This will probaly be my last post and I heard what some of you had to say and I agree,I never cared if I got bow of the month and if I did that was fine too.It was all about making bows knives and anything primitive and boy this was the magazine and website to be on,so many people making beautiful bows and some of the most gifted artisans I have ever seen.I never had nothing to say or critisize anybody bows and if I didnt have nothing good to say I just didnt say it,because to me they were all bows of the month.I was a member fo about 15 years but didnt get on for about the last two.This is still a good magazine and website,may it will con tinue to be.

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 06:11:00 pm »
For me there is no better source of inspiration that posting a bow on the forum...and if it goes on the forum then it goes in the bom. I love that part, even though my highly competitive nature causes a certain amount of spontaneous combustion in the home when I lose that can only be snuffed by approximately 16-20 ounces of Shiner Bock, Blackened Voodoo, or Negra Modela beer :P

Anyway, for me  BOM gives a real goal toward the motivation to improve and grow as a bowyer. There innumerable others that I have tremendous respect for and always appreciate their input as well as the comments from all lovers of archery.

However, having said all that I do make some bows that don't get posted under the bow section nor the bom. These bows will sometimes make it to the Around the campfire section as they are backed with some kind of Fibe#(*$^^...uh...that is, Fibe#(*$^^... wow what unusual censorship :P

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:58 am »
A lot of people just look and learn from the site and don't feel the need to post or vote, do t know how they do it
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »
Reading these post has caused me to realize that I ain't pulling my end. I will post my next bow and I will enter it in bom and I will get a subscription to the magazine and I will vote religiously. And what the result ?  I bet I enjoy the forum even more than I do now and that is hard to imagine. This is the best bowsite on the net.  Thanks for a good reminder  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 09:02:48 pm »
I went from never posting a bow to posting every bow and even a few pics throughout the build. We all love staring at pics ragardless of what stage the bow is in. Post em' and enter the bow in BOM every time! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jtbluefeather

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »
I just cast my first vote, and will continue to do so.  Even though it is very hard to pick just one!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 09:57:33 am »
Great,I love this responce.You folks are great and you can look at bom ,it has more votes than I have every seen and I been around a while. Thanks for the support. :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:33 am »
i have a special bow planned to be entered around late spring early summer, i hope you guys like yew warbows with antelope horn tips( if everything holds ;))
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Keenan

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 01:51:32 am »
Cant wait to see that one Fishfinder

Great,I love this responce.You folks are great and you can look at bom ,it has more votes than I have every seen and I been around a while. Thanks for the support. :) :) :)
   Pappy

I agree Pappy. Warms the heart to see such great responses

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 02:05:04 am »
   Pappy

Ditto on that Pappy. I'm a newby in "Pappy" years, but it's the most voting I've seen since I've been doing BOM.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 12:34:27 pm »
I received a notice to vote but felt the same way. Not having the experience so I did not vote. This time I will and I am working on a shagbark hickory bow and will enter regardless of set or hideousness. may not be ready until next month.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:56 am »
I've been guilty of not voting much, or posting for that matter, especially when life gets in the way and I can't build much.  I'll try to do better.  Reviving my interest in BOM has inspired me to put more emphasis on the finish than I have lately. On my first bows, I put a lot of work into shaping the tips and handle, finish sanding, coatings, etc.  Lately I've concentrated on performance more, and just knock the corners off with some sandpaper, slap some grease on it and call it a day.  I want to try to make a few purty ones again soon.

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »
Every member of PA is qualified to vote for BOM. Take the time to look over all of the bows and pick the one you like best.  Also take the time to study each bow, ask questions of the builder and add this to the learning process. That is what this really is, a chance to learn from what others have done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 06:43:56 pm »
  I think Pat brought up some very valid points. I like to think of it as accomplishment of the month, not neccessarily the best looking bow. Impossible to tell how a bow really came out by looking at it. Design, finish, performance, difficulty factor etc all need to be considered. Sometimes I may see a veteran bow builder really step up his own game and in a case like that I will vote for him. I used to vote very regular and one year I won bow of the year, I didn't feel I deserved it in all honesty, I felt like I was experiencing a little surge in popularity at that time and it carried votes. I stopped posting bows right then and their and also stopped voting. I will try to make an effort to get reinvolved and start posting and voting more, I like the idea of BOM but hate to think that politics play a part in it.