Author Topic: Walnut stain?  (Read 13725 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Walnut stain?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 02:45:52 pm »
Dick, you can do it either way. I have seen people boil it down into "ooze" or simmer the hulls with cloth or basket materials to dye them. The "rub it on" method works well for staining wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 06:11:54 pm »
what is interesting (yes teacher/mom in me coming out) is to dye eggs with these natural dyes.  they are so pretty!
when you back a bow with linen do you dye it first?
Is linen not cavish enough to talk about? Maybe Hillbilly will weave us some and we can go from there.! ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 07:01:02 pm »
                  Hmmm egg whites were used for painting as far back as the roman empire over 2000 years ago. It was mixed with natural stains and earth colors. In middle ages it was used ta paint on plaster. The Sistine Chapel ceiling by Michaelangelo is done in what is called "egg tempera." For those that have seen it is an experience. For those that have not it is simply amazing and beautiful even after 500 years. So hmm.... ;D......bob

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 08:00:31 pm »
They are beautiful and I might add painted by a gifted left handed person.  :D Left handedness was deemed in latin "sinister"   >:( and they even tried to change someone's left-handedness  >:( probably because all the right handed people were jealous  :o of how brilliant left-handed people were/are!  ;D  But that has all changed and now leftys can remain left handed and should be always revered! ;)
Just thought I would mention it...;. ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

jamie

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 08:18:23 pm »
all hail our left handed queen! hail! hail! hail!. sorry im watching the 300 for the 5th time. peace(doesnt seem right to say peace while watching this movie)

Offline outback118

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 01:18:44 pm »
I know this is not super prim but for you that make steel points for your arrows the wallnut hulls make a good stain for them too.I use it to clean and stain my steel traps. It works best if the steel has a light coat of rust on it first and gives a dark black finish.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 07:39:20 pm »
I know this is not super prim but for you that make steel points for your arrows the wallnut hulls make a good stain for them too.I use it to clean and stain my steel traps. It works best if the steel has a light coat of rust on it first and gives a dark black finish.

Ooooh I like that.

I know from accident that devil's walking stick berries make a kicking deep purple stain.  AKA Hercule's Club.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 12:47:16 am »
 I throw a bunch of black walnuts in a bucket and cover them with water.The water evaporates given a little time and condenses the liquid down to a strong dye,if you wait too long and your nuts go dry,put some more water in there, few days later. Dye   I really like the onion skin dye too.kinda a nice fawn brown. Ugg !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington