Author Topic: Ipe and cumaru  (Read 19465 times)

Offline rkeltner

Ipe and cumaru
« on: August 08, 2007, 01:26:10 pm »
i was reading apout ipe in the latest issue of PA, and decided to sniff out the local wood supplier. no ipe but they do carry cumaru decking. the characteristics seem to be very similar so i was wondering how cumaru would behave if used to make a bow, using the same standards as ipe??? ???

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Ipe and cumaru
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 03:59:14 pm »
How heavy is it? I would post this on the 'bows' forum, more traffic there.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:57:12 pm »
                          Cumaru is Dipteryx odorata and in famliy Fabaceae. Ipe is Tabebuia spp. and in family Bignoniaceae,. Different familys. Cumaru is often sold by"reputable" wood dealers as Ipe but its not. You would have ta try it out and see what u get. I had a small piece of cumaru once and it seemed fairly heavy. You really need ta look at the grain and see how tight it is. Good ipe has VERY tight grain and is very heavy s.g. wise and can range in color, but the best is very dark brown almost black and has no swirls er waves in grain also. Good Luck.......bob

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:14:01 am »
well, i've found some ipe locally, and made a purchase. i guess that means that i'm probably not going to try the cumaru any time soon. i have decided to bite the bullet, and buy a shipment of 25 'slats' of 1.75"x 6' bamboo, though.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:54:42 am »
I was given a piece of Cumaru a couple years ago. Tried making a Bamboo backed R/D bow with it but it broke in tension when I tried to reflex the limbs in glue up
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:59 pm »
Anyone know where I can buy Ipe in Canada or buy it period and have it shipped up.

Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:59:48 pm »
Internet search rob.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 01:48:50 am »
I couldn't find any locally so I found a place in Dallas TX that send me a 1"x4"x6' that cost me about $16 US total with shipping.  I think I still have their address at the office.  I'll try and PM it to you tomorrow. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 01:53:36 am »
3 bows for $16 ain't bad! 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC