Author Topic: What's Your Day Job?  (Read 55426 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: What's your day job?
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:23 am »
Howdy,  It's fun reading about everyone else's job.   Who would of thought that sewage engineers would get the most discussion.   Just one more reason to stay up wind of them at the next knap in!     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 01:28:18 am »
Clint this is an awesome thread.

I teach 1st grade in Dublin, Texas. I love teaching and I have fun everyday. I laugh at my own jokes and the kids make me smile all day long. My wife teaches on the 2nd grade hall and during Diego's recess time I can look out my window and watch him playing.

In March of my senior year I dropped out of school. I already had my cap and gown and invitations. I never set out to become a teacher. I set out to become "well off." when I was hong I thought that meant having a job that made lots of money. I'm hard headed and it took me a while to realize that being "well off" is being happy and content with what God has blessed me with. I didn't pick teaching and I sure didn't pick teaching the little guys. It picked me. Best thing that's happened to me in a while. I have been married going on 17 years. I have two daughters 13 and 11 and then I have a Mini Me by the name of Diego.

I live in town, drive a 94 Camry and haven't owned a truck since 99. I bring Primitive Archery and primitive skills into my classroom every chance I get.

I guess that's enough. That's all I have to say about that  ;)

Cipriano 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 01:47:27 am »
I am a sandwich artisan at SUBWAY ... ;D ... I started out 16 at mcdonalds, 17 papa johns, 18 US ARMY for Five years as an aircraft Armament guy loading rockets and rounds in ma-deuce (50-cal) and 7 shot rocket pod on oh-58 kiowa warrior helicopter Iraq 2003 Kosovo 2000. Walgreens pharmacy technician counting pills after that for 6 years. and now a proud sandwich artisan making 7.25 per hour ohhhhh yeahhhhh... :laugh: Great article from everyone.. 8) ...

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 01:55:26 am »
I am a sandwich artisan at SUBWAY ... ;D ... I started out 16 at mcdonalds, 17 papa johns, 18 US ARMY for Five years as an aircraft Armament guy loading rockets and rounds in ma-deuce (50-cal) and 7 shot rocket pod on oh-58 kiowa warrior helicopter Iraq 2003 Kosovo 2000. Walgreens pharmacy technician counting pills after that for 6 years. and now a proud sandwich artisan making 7.25 per hour ohhhhh yeahhhhh... :laugh: Great article from everyone.. 8) ...

Hey man, at least ya got a job, more that alot of folks can say these days!  Where are you from?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 12:41:26 pm »
Soaking up the rays here in beautiful Central Kentucky.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2012, 12:55:16 pm »
Grew up in a metal fabrication shop and started welding at twelve. On my own and millwrighting at 16, went to PSU to be an engineer but decided I didn't like that. Worked as a boiler maker for years doing allot of Ex-ray welding.  Then had my own fab shop for years, doing mill maintanace and  Hi end railings and creative art. Also had a crane and was operator/owner of that for years.  Now I'm wore out and tired, just do what I can when I can. ::)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 05:52:38 pm »
  I was looking through the posts and notice Pappy and I have similar backgrounds. truck mechanic most of the last 44 years spent about 10 years of that as a fleet manager and the majority of that as a working foreman. Next week I retire!!!! 9 days from now!
CONGRATULATIONS, a couple days early.

I have been a roofing contractor for a lot of years. Spent four years working at the local PD, but was still making more roofing so I gave that up. I am still roofing to pay the bills, but am finishing up my bachelors degree in Computer Information and Technology, doing websites and networking. Being a full time student plus having a full time job has seriously cut into my bow building time.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:50 pm »
OK Well im a contractor i do everything from digin the hole to finish carpentry. Been doing it for a while. Mostly buy and flips last few years.  :o But im also a Mounted shooter, Mounted archer, Certified NRA instructor (teach CCW classes), Hunter, Babysitter (Granddauters)  8) Former Military.  >:D And now part time Boyer. Ohh and im definatly a Southern Redneck Apache  >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:29 am »
Im retired,,I operated heavy equipment and shovels most of my life after the Army,,,after 2 heart attacks the doc said quit,,soI did, Im a professional grandpa these days!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 01:41:14 am »
I havent laugh so hard in a while  :laugh:You guys kill me! I worked for chevrolet until they wanted me to work so i opened my own repair shop. been fourteen years  fixin broke cars and trucks. spend all my off time teaching and reaching young men for christ!! thats what got me into building bows. And what got me here! i've learned as much in the past month reading your post as I have in the last year. keep up the good work!!!!!
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »
I'm a water well driller and repairman for our family business Lynch Waterwell Drilling Inc in the evinings I'm a knight in shining armour for my two little girls and Mr fixit all to my wife now on my free time I'm a musician I play guitar,bass,drums,sing and sound man. I also teach guitar on the side I'm active in two bands . Now for my free free time I'm a martial artest doing kyushinryuaikijujitsu, and many forms of kungfu from wing chun to southern white Crain and many more other kungfu arts. I also do blacksmithing and of corse the primitive arts. I can keep going but il stop here ttyl

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:07 pm »
I get paid to be an NDN! I am an Indian Cultural Demonstrator/Park Ranger at Yosemite National Park in California. I have been here for 18 years. Before that I worked for the US Forest Circus. Anything that gives me a lot of outside time.  My wife and I occassionally teach for primitive skills groups and other similar groups.  For those of you who have attended either Rabbit stick or Winter count there is another PSC in California the first week in May called the Buckeye Gathering.  Most recently I performed on stage and demonstrated knapping at Casa Grande Ruins in Arizona. We are currently court ordered placement for two of our three grandchildren. Between two hours of commuting, chores around the house and grandkids I do not have much time for anything else!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 10:27:19 pm »
Hey everybody,  Where are all the lawyers, doctors and Wall Street bankers?   It seems most of us work with our hands during the day, too.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2012, 01:40:55 am »
no lawyers here mp , im a former Marine , that built houses for 5 years before becoming a paper maker . i control all the stock , broke , water and chemical additives for two linerboard machines , work swing shift and somehow manage to build a bow every now and then.

hey cp would you be considered a turd herder too ??

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2012, 01:57:02 am »
hey cp would you be considered a turd herder too ??

Me? Na. I herd cats all day... Or kittens that is..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.