Author Topic: What's Your Day Job?  (Read 55106 times)

Offline carpentertimw

Re: What's your day job?
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:52 am »
Highschool (homeschooled), commercial mowing, and apartment maintenance.
Tim

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2012, 05:58:00 am »
I'm an Armament Systems Maintenance Warrant Officer (how's that for a mouthful?) for the US Army.  What that translates to is that I used to work on guns and tanks, but now I'm a "Technical Resource" for Soldiers that actually work for a living.  When I went home for leave last month, my wife commented on how smooth and soft my hands are these days.  Gonna have to do something about that.  When she met me, I was a carpenter and before that, I was a farmer, so this is the first time since 1978 or so that I haven't had calluses.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:25 am »
I do construction.  I work with my dad and brother. We do it all from the dig to finish. Commercial and residential.  I enjoy the concrete end of things most of all.  Had my own business until the housing industry colapsed.  Maybe someday it will come back? :-\ I hope.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:50 pm »
I am a bat biologist.  I have worked with the forest service and private industry.  Most recently, I worked for Tetra Tech, EC a international consulting firm, doing surveys for bats and migratory raptors, primarily for wind energy development...until I lost my job over a little incident I had while doing surveys in eastern Idaho...apparently corporate frowns upon fighting badgers with pocket knifes.   :(  Honestly, it has all worked out for the better.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline stickbender

« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »
I am a bat biologist.  I have worked with the forest service and private industry.  Most recently, I worked for Tetra Tech, EC a international consulting firm, doing surveys for bats and migratory raptors, primarily for wind energy development...until I lost my job over a little incident I had while doing surveys in eastern Idaho...apparently corporate frowns upon fighting badgers with pocket knifes.   :(  Honestly, it has all worked out for the better.
     CMB, you have to tell us about the fight with the badger! :o  Uh..... was this in a bar?..... ;) Did alcohol have any part in it? ::) ::)  With a pocket knife no less! :o

Wayne

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »
Where at in eastern Idaho.  I live here in south central Idaho.  Them badgers aint nice.  I know they can dig faster than two guys on shovels! >:D Until they hit rock.  then they are done. lol

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:22 pm »
It was just east of Idaho Falls, past Iona.

I spent some time writing about the badger fight this morning, but it is going to be a long story, so I will post it in another thread and paste the link here.  The story will be in installments, since I can't get a solid chunk of time to write it all. Since I lost my job over the deal, I feel like there are lots of details that would be better included. 
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline stickbender

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2012, 04:03:23 pm »

Dang!  Ya big Tease!  You're being like the old Saturday Matinee's when I was a kid, and the movie theaters would have these serials, and just at the most exciting part, it would end, and you had to come back next week, to see the ending.  Usually, it was, changed from the hero falling off a cliff, to a pile of jagged rocks a hundred feet below, to a nice deep river, ten to twenty feet below.  We always caught that, but we kept going back! :P ;)

Wayne 

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2012, 04:08:12 pm »
Stickbender, you are cracking me up.  Here is part 1.   Watch closely I might pull that same trick with the story.  Eminent death to...whew close one!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31928.0.html

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2012, 06:06:00 pm »
Yeah that is a nice area of Idaho.  Drove through there a few times.  Great story by the way
Tell Riley

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2012, 12:08:07 am »
Wow, there seems to be a lot of variety here! Most of us seem to be traditional blue collar skilled trade workers!

I'm a Telecom Tech that works in Transport for a long distance company. Basicly the telecom field can be broken down into two general areas. If you pick up your phone and call you friend accross town, that's all handled by a Local Exchange Carrier (your local phone company) equipment and maintained by your LEC techs. I did that work for the Coast Guard after they put me through an Associats degree worth of training in 6 months. It's fun work. Now lets say you pick up your phone and call your friend in the next town, county, state or accross country, that's handled by a long distance company's equipment and maintained by people like me. We transport more than just phone calls, but that's a service that most people can relate to.

Jamison
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2012, 12:34:51 am »
CMB, I work for Ardaman's and Associates in Florida. I get my paycheck from Tetra Tech, also
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2012, 12:22:43 pm »
This is a great thread!
I started as a cowboy growing up on 15,000 acres in Wyoming. After that I sang with my brothers in Branson MO for a while then toured full time for two years till to many of us were getting married for that to work. Started working for MO dept of transportation. And now I am a youth minister and worship leader. I have honestly loved everything I've done! Getting ready now for another change, but I'll let y'all know later.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2012, 07:05:19 pm »
job change working in pharmacy counting pills again, better than subway.  :o

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »
Artist blacksmith for over 3 years. Have also done some custom pet portraits in graphite.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.