Author Topic: band saw blade rasp  (Read 2329 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

band saw blade rasp
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:32 pm »
Hi guys

I have heard for years about people making make shift rasps from broken bits of band saw blades, although I have never tried it.  As it happens, I broke a blade last nite and would like to give it a go.  Anybody out there ever done this before?  Any tips to offer?  What would be the best way to cut pieces - just bend them back and forth till it breaks?  Then wrap 2-3 pieces together at the ends w duct tape for a handle?

Russ   

Offline Nifty

Re: band saw blade rasp
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:03:31 pm »
I haven't made one with band saw blade pieces before, but I do have a "rasp" that I like very much that I made from a 10-pack of 14 TPI Sawzall blades, tightly wrapped at each end with electrical tape. It works very well for smaller detail areas.
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:51:21 pm »
a saw rasp! great idea !
have a nice pile of bandsaw blades...you know how it is ...just can't throw stuff that might be useful ...someday.

my favorite saw for the woods is one of those Bear pull-hand saws they sell at Lowes. That saw is incredible.

when it starts getting dull from hundreds of cuts? snap off every fourth tooth for a mean cross cut that will extend its life a good while.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:59 am »
I sometimes use the bandsaw to tiller with. Instead of running the bow paralell to the blade and pushing right into the blade, I put the bow at about 30 degrees to the blade and push it in the OPPOSITE direction. The blade will not cut the wood into strips but rather remove wood in the form of saw dust only. It works like a power rasp. Pust the wood away from the blade at a 30 degree or less angle and give it a try, it works amazingly well.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »
Google shinto rasp, might give you some inspiration,

I would stack blades of equel length, drill a hole on eather end, bolt or rivet them together.  I would use something to spread the blades. Wrap ducktape around the ends. Cut the blades with an angle grinder if you have on of those
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »
Shinto's are king in my book and only $25 here. Thats cheap enough to buy and not make in my book!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:08 pm »
Pearl thats whats missing from the bow kit you gave me . where is my shinto rasp ?!!! >:(

Well I guess I will have to go to town and get myself one! I do not like going into town!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:56:25 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.  That shinto rasp looks interesting - do any of you guys use one?

I plan to experiment soon and will post pics of what I come up with.  I hate to just throw the blade away - so I got to try something. 

Russ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 12:59:48 pm »
Make scrapers with that blade and buy an 11" Shinto!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.