Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 31298 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
What are your other hobbies?
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:35:13 pm »
Howdy,   Osage Outlaw started a cool thread asking about day jobs.    Now what have you got to say about hobbies other than making bows.   Yeah I know, bows, hunting and fishing and knapping.   What else is there?

Well for me there's martial arts (Aikido), bonsai (I'm tempted to make a really little bow if one of my trees dies), vegetable gardening, music (clarinets, tenor sax, recorders, mountain dulcimer), cabinetry and remodeling.  Oh and reading!
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:28 pm »
I am a fairly decent golfer.  I played my best 9 holes ever last year at 2 over par :)  Before I got married, I was into a lot of sports leagues; bowling, softball, and 2 different basketball leagues.  I enjoy reading but most of my books are either bowbuilding/knapping or native american related.  Really, if I'm not doing something bow related, I'm spending time with the wife and kids.  I don't have much time for anything else.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:31 pm »
Blacksmithing,fishing, making stuff go fast pull hard or slop around in the mud, cooking I'm actually pretty good at it, got a fifteen foot jon boat with a 25hp motor pretty fast with just me and a tank of gas lots of grins there.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:46:51 pm »
Landscaping, taking care of our property (pine plantation), playing farmer on my tractor for the wildlife, used to coonhunt but put that on the backburner for now (with my young boys taking up my time), love to duck hunt and turkey hunt, working on my truck, collecting books, and skeet and trap shooting.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:07:41 am »
i do alot of bowfishing.i am a carp killer.i also collect guns and antique fishing gear.i work alot so that is about all i have time for.good thread by the way,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:22:10 am »
Other than making bows from WOOD.... I like to make anything I can think of out of wood. 

With 2 grandkids I have made wood blocks, a shadow box for a small bow and arrows for grandson,  an airplane swing for hanging in a tree, built a custom door for a tree house, a doll cradle, a rocking horse.... made 2 small canoes (10-12 inches long} a couple weeks ago just to see if I could ....and just for my kicks.......I'm working on a klopotec >:D ???

I like to cook too...smoke meat, grill, wood fired pizza!!!!... and eat!! 8)

I always have a trail camera out...and will look for shed antlers tomorrow with my son.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:40:02 am »
Lowell, I'm taking my son out shed hunting tomorrow too.  Good luck.

Can I ad making tiny bows and arrows from office supplies to my list :D  This little thing is wicked.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:45 am »
Good thread Ron. Most of my time is taken up with work (school), but on my free free time I love spending time with the family. Fishing, camping, cooking, and working in the yard. We collect and gather flint together with is a lot of fun.

I make wooden crosses. All types and shapes out of all different types of wood. I love to read, but don't get to much. Hunting takes a lot of my free time because I spend that time with Diego. I write for fun. Short stories. I like cooking and gardening. Love going to church with the family.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 02:27:03 am »
Other than flintknapping, I enjoy spending time with the family, fishing, hunting and throwing the ball for my labrador.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 03:39:52 am »
I put in about 30 hours a week working with birds of prey and giving wildlife education programs at local schools, civic organizations, sportsman's groups, weddings, bar mitzvahs, and birthday parties.  I get to gut rats and mice, de-yolk day old chicks, scrape bird poop, an get bit by a great horned owl that is coming to trust me one bite at a time.  I do fundraising, public relations, blog, write e-newsletter articles, and anything else to keep this tiny little non-profit needs.  All for no pay.

Hopefully soon this organization will have aditional volunteer staff to give me the time to become an apprentice to one of our local falconers.  The knowledge is invaluable for the non-profit, of course.  But hunting a redtail hawk on cottontails makes me all kinds of excited!

I also like long walks on the beach, intimate candlelit dinners, and poking dead things with a stick. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:49 am »
JW As a only somewhat reformed Hawker I can say that catching rabbits with a bird you trained is a thrill that few other things can match.   Falconry is a full time life style though.  You and the bird both do best with a routine of daily hunting.   I, sadly, no longer have time or daily access to adequate hunting spots.   Good luck though.   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 04:26:42 am »
Osage Outlaw,  Congratulations with the golf score.  I could never get into it, though my Dad was really good.   I tended to spend all my time looking for lost balls.   I now joke that I was training for cryptorchid surgeries.   (That's really an obscure "in" joke.  Look up cryptorchid and it should become obvious.)    Ron

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36:44 am »
Osage Outlaw,  Congratulations with the golf score.  I could never get into it, though my Dad was really good.   I tended to spend all my time looking for lost balls.   I now joke that I was training for cryptorchid surgeries.   (That's really an obscure "in" joke.  Look up cryptorchid and it should become obvious.)    Ron

That's funny.  In 12 days I'm having my vas deferens disconnected  :o    Guess I'll be shooting blunts from now on  ;)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 06:30:01 am »
Welcome to the club.  I fancied myself a golfer for awhile, but then reality set in.  I flew radio controlled model airplanes for years, but got tired of it.  The  only thing (besides hunting and archery) I have done my entire life is singing in church.  Love it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:49 am »
Great thread. Past hobbies include, Tesla coils, jacobs ladders and anything i could find super high voltage. The obvious ones are making bows, flint knapping and making arrows. Lately lots of reading and drawing. Just purchased everything i need to start bladesmithing when i get off of this smelly island and back home. Have not been on in ~9 months because the sat. com internet blocks "weapons related sites" now i have my own 3g stick and can once again add perusing P.A. to my list. 

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit