Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 31295 times)

Offline johnston

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 10:23:39 am »
You kinda said to take hunting and fishing for granted so... I shoot. A lot. Handguns, rifles, shotgun, bow,sling just whatever.Used
to enjoy competing in firearm matches but just plain got tired of all the reloading. It is more fun now.

My wife and I sing in a couple of choral groups, a few weddings every year and way too many funerals. I am so cute in a tux.

Trail cams, woods walking, mules, and lately, rehabbing from hand surgeries. Only one of those left, though.
Oh, one of the most enjoyable is keeping up with this PA website. I don't do well with people so this is my social life.

Lane

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 10:29:41 am »
I teach HS English...so I am an obsessive reader and bibliophile......I play a lot of table top miniatures games, I watch rugby when I find it on cable and ESPN3. 

I am a father of two and married for 12 years in May.....but they are my life...not a hobby.

I haven't been hunting in years.....unless you count hunting my fellow man with an airsoft gun.....what a rush, but it doesn't have that "doing something with it all the time feel", know what I mean?

I am an avid golfer.....about a 10 handicap......as a teacher.....the summers are the only real time I get to play...and a day off every now and again. 

Hopefully I will get back out hunting this fall, but I really never want to hunt with a gun again....I like the quiet.

So hobbies?  Hmmmmmm, archery and everything that goes with it......reading.....movies......table top mini games.....golf....and a bit of airsoft!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 10:31:19 am »
Besides the obvious archery affliction I have. I absolutely love my band and playing out every chance we get. I lived on the water since I was 5. Then selfbows got ahold of me badly and it was time to choose fishing or bows because my family time suffered. I sold the boat and just fish when I can. Maybe 8-10 times a summer now instead 4-5 times a week with B.A.S.S. federation tourneys sprinkled in.

Golf Clint? Come on! Golf is for dudes that cant fish..........;) Now I have to form a different opinion about you, I dont like doing that buddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 10:49:06 am »
Besides the obvious archery affliction I have. I absolutely love my band and playing out every chance we get. I lived on the water since I was 5. Then selfbows got ahold of me badly and it was time to choose fishing or bows because my family time suffered. I sold the boat and just fish when I can. Maybe 8-10 times a summer now instead 4-5 times a week with B.A.S.S. federation tourneys sprinkled in.

Golf Clint? Come on! Golf is for dudes that cant fish..........;) Now I have to form a different opinion about you, I dont like doing that buddy!

I can fish too.  I've been golfing since I was in the 3rd grade.  I only go 3 or 4 times a year now.  I fish a lot more than that.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 11:14:56 am »
Nice cover up pal, real nice....Im just messing with you anyhow. I went through my golf phase 15 years ago. Dad loves it so I thought I would try it for a few months.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 11:38:09 am »
Was a serious runner until I fell out of one too many trees deer hunting, now I am a serious walker. I walk 12 miles a week, work out with weights 3 days a week and do back stuff on my off days to keep the demons from my last fall at bay.

I was once a very good duck decoy carver, carving quit being fun when I turned my hobby into a business, put down my duck carving tools in 86 and never touched them again.

Took up bow making in 96, I can tell it will be a lifetime affliction.

Started building flintlock rifles three years ago, another lifetime affliction I am sure. The rifle building has the potential to keep me learning for the rest of my life, first building and in the future, forging metal parts, carving wood and finally engraving.

I garden a good bit, can cook almost anything and being retired, I can hunt every day if I feel like it.

My wife and  attend all the traditional tournaments within 200 miles of our home in NW Alabama. We have a nice 5th wheel camper so we go a day or two early and stay a day late to make every event a mini vacation. 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:43:21 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »
besides making bows and arrows and quivers n such
i make lots of other stuff.
working on something most everyday.
current project is a cupla masks for fat tuesday/madri gras parade.
also collect knives, old, unusual and handmade. the older the better.
always looking for new places to hunt artifacts. my pops was an avid collector/hunter.
i used to follow him while growing up. never lost the passion/obsession for the find.
though i dont have the time these days like i have had in the past.
read lots-mostly non-fiction, history related.
ride a bicycle almost daily.
long distance runner for many years till my knees and hips started screaming at me.
thats when i took up cycling. walk a cupla miles most every morning too.
another passion, vintage/antique bicycles, parts and ephemera.
also collect art. mostly from local artists i know.
grow as much of my own food as i have room for.
hiking camping backpacking. tho i dont seem to get those things done as much as i used to either.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 01:27:33 pm »
...almost everything everyone else said. Picking something and sticking with it is the hard part. So far archery and archery related activities has the best hold on me. I like to hunt, fish, hike, camping, artifact hunting, most everything outside, gardening, landscaping, collecting and studying native plants(haven't lately) andc any wild crafting I can learn.  I never liked playing team sports or golf or tennis.
  I'll at least try most anything.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 04:26:05 pm »
Had a nice day with my hobby and my son and even found one....
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »
Between the "Honey-Do" list and grandchildren I do not have much time fo rthe hobbies I would like to pursue. I am a maker, player and collector of international flutes. I have about 30 now.  I have about a dozen walking sticks in the garage that have needed finishing for sometime now. Tore out the back patio years ago with the intent of re-doing it in native slate (still a mudpit in the winter). Always need to find time to keep the wood shed filled. My son is after me to put a concrete base down for haybales so we can shoot the modern recurves that are in the closet. With out the concrete the grouns squirrels and gophers would chew it to nothing in short order. My wife and I like to go to auctions where there is NDN stuff up for bid. Seems like the last 7 years or so between children and the wife lots of my "off" time has been spent going to various doctors. So - I would like to get into bowyering and smithing. All a matter of time I suppose.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »
Nice find Lowell.  You had a better day than we did.  It was nice to spend some time hiking with my son even though we didn't find anything.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
Beer and Wine making are my other passion.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 06:18:09 pm »
I am gonna try to give you the short answer , I hope someday to right out the adventures of
(Guy from Ohio) one of these days soon! But till then !

I have been known as a collector of hobbies ( about anything out doors related you can think of ) At one time or another I have had antique tools for all aspects of the great outdoors !
About 1975 I no longer enjoyed the direction archery was headed so I switched to black powder exclusively for hunting for awhile and had a blast! but my heart kept drawing me back to archery!!
 If you name something that can take place in the backwoods of Ohio I have been involved in it!

My wife and I have been serving the folks that come thru the doors of our church for 40 yrs that is how God brought us together and we have been married for 35 now!! just about anything anyone needed we have done our best at helping them , now a days the grand children get a lot of our time !!

Guy

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 06:40:50 pm »
I play the ukulele and ukebanjo  ;D, keep a few bee hives, make stuff out of metal,  spend a lot of time outside w/ my boys trying to get them as connected to nature and the ways of the outdoors as I can while they still want to hang out w/ Papa.  Knapping is my newest hobby and arrow making I like a bunch.  Haven't made a bow yet, I just shoot a lot. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »
Like most of you guys,alot of things interest me and take up spare time.Not really a master of anything,but can grow or build most anything.I take alot of pictures (sometimes),garden up a mess of eats or flowers,orchardist,keep a big flock of chickens,try to stay on the good side of my bride,sometimes I write.certainly hunt and fish.read,walk good country,work fine wood,dream. need to make fresh new gear for a primitive deer,elk,bear,turkey,etc. gonna work on my tan this summer,do all my outside work in a loincloth. Hunt this warm early season country right.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington