Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 31296 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »
Great thread. Past hobbies include, Tesla coils, jacobs ladders and anything i could find super high voltage. The obvious ones are making bows, flint knapping and making arrows. Lately lots of reading and drawing. Just purchased everything i need to start bladesmithing when i get off of this smelly island and back home. Have not been on in ~9 months because the sat. com internet blocks "weapons related sites" now i have my own 3g stick and can once again add perusing P.A. to my list. 

Dustin D
.  Oohhh man i found a solid state tesla coil plan iv been wanting to make I really like the musical ones
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 12:39:04 am »
Raising rabbits, and most of the primitive related subjects.  Rockhounding!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 12:40:41 am »
Out side of trying to keep my self and family in bows and arrows Hmm! Any thing aside from what I should be doing. >:D My wife will vouch for that. ;D Hikeing, shed hunting and spending time with family. 8)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 01:51:46 am »
Cipriano asked me to post a couple of photos for him.
And here they are!  :)

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 02:21:29 am »
Cipriano asked me to post a couple of photos for him.
And here they are!  :)

-gus

Thanks Gus... I forgot to mention that I'm a professional "gatherer" and "trader."  :laugh: ;D ;) I gather raw materials and sometimes I gather and make neat things that no one that I know of has ever thought about.

I was given that big redfish on a pier on the Texas Coast last July. Gus got the slabs of meat and I kept the skin. Well when we came home I washed and cleaned the scales and set them out to dry. One day it hit me that they were naturally shaped like a guitar pick. I don't play the guitar so i don't know how that happened.

Anyway, I made guitar picks out of the scales. They work great according to the guitar playing folks I have given some too.

Gather and disperse... And trade... I enjoy that  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 10:40:34 am »
Dang Cipriano, at first I thought you caught that thing.  That would have been a heck of a catch!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline criveraville

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 12:21:57 pm »
Jimbob it was a huge fish. It swallowed the hook and was going to die, so the guy that caught it gave it to me and I tagged it. He caught 12 this big and tossed them all back.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 12:24:34 pm »
Thats a fine red. I cant imagine the fight a red that big would give you. Nice hat Cippy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chigger

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:16 pm »
I am a fairly decent golfer.  I played my best 9 holes ever last year at 2 over par :)  Before I got married, I was into a lot of sports leagues; bowling, softball, and 2 different basketball leagues.  I enjoy reading but most of my books are either bowbuilding/knapping or native american related.  Really, if I'm not doing something bow related, I'm spending time with the wife and kids.  I don't have much time for anything else.

Outlaw;  My best round of golf was played about thirty years ago in the Invitational Tourament at our GC ,I was 5 under thru 13 holes and took a 10 on a 5 par and then par on in for second.Golf will keep you humble.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 12:42:29 pm »
YesRYes sir. They fight hard and fast. Thanks Pearly. It looks like a plant holder  :laugh:

Cipriano

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 02:09:38 pm »
HEY Pearls, I wear a hat like that to weed the garden in the hot Summer sun.  I was gonna say somethin' bout them Bermuda shorts.  :o  ;D I'll have to keep my eye out for a pair in green.  ;D dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 03:40:49 pm »
Hey Cheerios...you're my Hero in that pic bud!  Love the smile...

For me, gosh...too many hobbies (according to all those other responsible adults in my life)

Black Powder enthusiast, Falconer...I also have a Federal Propagation Permit for Hawks and Falcons and currently have 3 pairs of breeding Harris' Hawks, couple falcons, etc., I am an avid Fly-fisherman (mostly Trout & Salmon), Fly-tyer, Upland bird hunter, pointing dog trainer, Bowyer, flint-knapper, animal parts collector ( 8)) Reading, learning guitar & mandolin, Braintanner, Beadwork, bowfisherman, gardener, chicken rancher, pigeon flier, Trapper, collectable book buyer, boat builder, hunting decoy carver (have many ribbons from my competitive days)...I am sure I have missed more than a few but that is a quick snap shot of my interests.

Cheers!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline SA

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 04:16:07 pm »
m-p   ,I practice aikido also(tenshinkai) along with southern shaolin and arnis, what style do you do?
I like working with wood, recently i have been building some bathroom cabinets and plan on a pergola for the back yard. art(tattooing friends and coworkers >:D) ,  I have a 1200 custom sporty that has been calling my name as soon as it warms up.
 I play acoustic guitar and a little classical to relax  :)music is a big part of my life . pretty much anything I can get my hands on i have to tweak a little so that can keep a person busy.
bevan - we have something in common you like to make wine and beer and i like to drink wine and beer :laugh:

Shawn Acker

Grunt

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:52 pm »
Tao style Ti Chi, professional woodturner/ sculptor, woodturning teacher, USMC combat vet, gardening, following a Lakota spiritual path, fly fishing and tying flys, flint knapping, creative writing, black powder shooting and blowing stuff up, learning new stuff, tracking, kayaking both sea kayaking and kayak fishing, pretty good cook, and I like turning over rocks of all kinds as you never know what you will find. And no I don't want a date with any of you bums.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 09:06:03 pm »
Been doing martial arts/boxing for about 25 years now.  Also fishing, hunting, video games, working out, hiking, painting...  Before my back surgeries I golfed and snowboarded regurally. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln