Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 31534 times)

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2012, 07:36:04 pm »
I hunt, fish, travel, write, play guitar and songwrite, record, and a bunch of other stuff. I self-published two books last year that are memoirs of my time in the Army. My wife and I love to travel. I also love gardening and playing around outside. I love anything to do with history, too.

I did Civil War reenacting for years, but haven't for a while. I plan to get back into living history after I retire, but it'll probably be black powder rendezvous.

I have a bunch of hobbies. The only reason I work a job is to pay for my hobbies.
Doug from Missouri

Offline Dane

« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »
Lee, thanks. The 391st project has consumed me for almost ten years. The documents i have been priveleged to study alone are such an honor, information that has not seen the light of day in six + decades. The tactical air war is nearly forgotten, too, so to keep this history alive and remember those guys who fought and often died to keep the world free should never be forgotten.

Pepe, how is going bro? Id love to read your two books on your (I presume) Tower Rat days. I am guessing that my time with the 74th USAFAD will be similar to what you guys experienced. I've hooked up with the old unit and my old bros through a facebook page, and man, it is great to relieve those times in Germany.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
used to be an oboist through college.

Dane

Hehehe, Oboe.  Farting bedpost!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:23 am »
Now you done went and did it...

Ahh... West Germany in the Spring Time...
Cold Beer, Hot Bratwurst, and Pretty Frauleins!
Or was it, Cold Bratwurst, Pretty Bier, und... aw heck...

:)

Bco 1/37 Armor!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Dane

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:27 am »
used to be an oboist through college.

Dane

Hehehe, Oboe.  Farting bedpost!

Yes, the oboe, aka hotboy. An ill wind nobody blows good. Bet you were a tuba player and jealous that I got to tune up the entire group. :) Oh yes, making double reeds was huge work, but I got to cary around sharp, dangerous scalpel-like knives and tiller cane into reeds.

Offline Dane

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
Now you done went and did it...

Ahh... West Germany in the Spring Time...
Cold Beer, Hot Bratwurst, and Pretty Frauleins!
Or was it, Cold Bratwurst, Pretty Bier, und... aw heck...

Bco 1/37 Armor!

-gus

You know it brother. You were a DAT, eh?

Charlie Team "Headhunters", 74th United States Army Field Artillary Detachment, 512th Group, 59th Ordinance Brigade. We were south of Augsburg, attached to a German surface to surface missile wing, and our job was custodians of the Pershing 1 warheads. Great duty, the beer was amazing! Just ordered a case recently of Augustinerbau Munchen Edelstoff, the beer of the gods, still as great as when we were faced most times. :) And in winter, you had glowwine.

As for the frauleins...yup. :) And when you couldn't sneak them on post or were on alert or whatever, you always had beer and Ansbach. :)

Offline Gus

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2012, 02:52:41 am »
I hear ya Brother Dane.
Some of my closest friends are Arty Folks...
Even though we didn't let them drink in our Gasthauses and Bars back in the day...   >:D
I do miss me some Germany from time to time!
When I got home to Houston I was Ruined when it came to Beer and Hot Weather.

In retrospect I should add Brewing Beer and Mead along with Aging FINE Tequila to my Hobby list...
Though the Tequila Aging is more of a Passion than a Hobby.
Oh, and working on and firing Crew Served Weapons, Squad Based Weapons, and Civilian Weapons of all kinds.

And scratch Skydiving off the list for a while...
Had to give it up till my boys are old enough to make it if I don't...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2012, 03:23:57 am »
Fishin,huntin,froggin,beer conisier,making wine,gardening,bushcraft,knife makin,,what else is there to do?  ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Dane

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:21 am »
I hear ya Brother Dane.
Some of my closest friends are Arty Folks...
Even though we didn't let them drink in our Gasthauses and Bars back in the day...   >:D
I do miss me some Germany from time to time!
When I got home to Houston I was Ruined when it came to Beer and Hot Weather.

In retrospect I should add Brewing Beer and Mead along with Aging FINE Tequila to my Hobby list...
Though the Tequila Aging is more of a Passion than a Hobby.
Oh, and working on and firing Crew Served Weapons, Squad Based Weapons, and Civilian Weapons of all kinds.

And scratch Skydiving off the list for a while...
Had to give it up till my boys are old enough to make it if I don't...  :)

-gus

Gus, I wasn't a redleg, to clear the air. I was an 11 bullit catcher. The unit was a combination of infantry, artillary, MPs, and various commo and other riff raff. The grunts were outnumbered, but were the cream of the crop at Schwab. :) You probably would be surprised at how much hell the artillary guys can cause given enough motivation however lol.

I was ruined too regarding beer. Nothing in the states compared to even the worst German brand. A black label or a Bud just wasn't the same anymore. :)

I guess we share another hobby, tequila. Nothing else like it. :)

Dane

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2012, 12:49:15 am »
Pepe, how is going bro? Id love to read your two books on your (I presume) Tower Rat days. I am guessing that my time with the 74th USAFAD will be similar to what you guys experienced. I've hooked up with the old unit and my old bros through a facebook page, and man, it is great to relieve those times in Germany.

The first one's about the Tower Rat days and the second one's about my IRR recall a couple years later. Both of them have been really popular. I'm sure you'd like them. Erich on mil.com read both of them and loved them. There's a facebook fan page for the first one that has a bunch of old tower rats from all over Germany and a bunch of German fans, too. A lot of MP tower rats have read it and liked it, so I think it was a similar experience anywhere. It's sold quite a few in Germany. You should check it out! If you put "SAT & BAF!" in the search thing on facebook, you should see it. I have an author page on there, too.

If you click "like" on there, you can see updates on the books. The "SAT & BAF!" page is kind of a hangout for old tower rats.

It's good to see you!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:02:54 am by PepeLep »
Doug from Missouri

Offline coaster500

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:05 am »
Got a regular 50 hr a week job but the wife and I like to travel once in a while. We also live on the ocean and I do a bit of Kayak fishing here,

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:24:23 am by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:01 pm »
I guess we share another hobby, tequila. Nothing else like it. :)

Dane

Add me to the tequila hobby list, too. I love fine tequilas.

I have a hard time keeping it around long enough to age it, though.
 ;D
Doug from Missouri

Offline Gus

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2012, 04:01:17 pm »
I hear ya PepeLep!!!
But when it comes to aging Tequila, I have the Iron Will of Vulcan and the Patience of Jobe!!!
We will serve NO Tequila... Before its Time.

Hey Coaster!
Nice Flounder... :)
Just kidding... have you though about saving the skins off of Halibut for Backing Bows?
Halibut Rawhide!

Planning on Laying down a Mead or two to ferment this Spring.
1 gallon of the Honey of your choice, I like Clover Honey or Orange Blossom Honey.
4 gallons of Spring Water.
And the Yeast of your choice, I like to use a Champagne yeast to insure a good high Alcohol content.  :)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2012, 05:58:02 pm »
"Other" hobby?  Are you implying this is just a "hobby"?!?!?!    >:( >:( >:( >:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »
I've hooked up with the old unit and my old bros through a facebook page, and man, it is great to relieve those times in Germany.

Dane

Dane, I just remember something else you should check out on facebook (besides my fan page for the book). There's a Pershing group on there, too. I think it might be called "Pershing Professionals" or something. It's filled with people from all throughout Pershing. There are a couple more groups I'm in, too, but that one's where you're most likely to see people from where you were.

In case the rest of you don't know, Dane and I were both infantrymen who did a really unique job in Germany.
 8)
Doug from Missouri