Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 31770 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2012, 07:14:35 pm »
Never new you guys used fish skins until I joined PA...  that one hit the bow before I ever built a bow...  This spring you can bet I'll be looking at fish skins different :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline vabowyer

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:19 am »
I do a little fly fishing, cooking, and some stereo photography.  Mostly just go to work and go to sleep most days....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »
Fly-fishing for salmon, trout and steelhead. Tipi camping. And bow-hunting of course.
Gordon

Offline Dane

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2012, 10:17:27 am »
I've hooked up with the old unit and my old bros through a facebook page, and man, it is great to relieve those times in Germany.

Dane

Dane, I just remember something else you should check out on facebook (besides my fan page for the book). There's a Pershing group on there, too. I think it might be called "Pershing Professionals" or something. It's filled with people from all throughout Pershing. There are a couple more groups I'm in, too, but that one's where you're most likely to see people from where you were.

In case the rest of you don't know, Dane and I were both infantrymen who did a really unique job in Germany.
 8)

Doug, just got back to this thread. I will look for your books. Erich and I did OSUT at Ft. Benning together. He is a great guy overall. He was the tallest E1, I was the shortest.

I've checked out that group,btw. And I will find your fan page and join, as well. Good stuff.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline mitch

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »
Aborigial living skills, blacksmithing, mma, hunting of all sorts(except for sandhill cranes) and any kind of fishing, I dabble in western martail arts, Im also into boyscouting, backpacking, blackpowder shooting, and I also cook(however I cant bake). Not bad considering im 17!!  ::)
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2012, 12:08:04 am »
I don't do much else other than take rides on the motorcycle and occasionally bicycle even though i live in a congested area. And i read a lot of books until my eyes are too tired then i go outside and sit down and stare in to space. I was into the primitive skills but after it took me like 5 months to figure out friction fire, i haven't done much other learning. Still haven't figured out(identified) the good plants to make cordage out of and the rest of that. I'd like to take up gardening, but i'm 17 and don't own my own place and the parents are against backyard gardening, don't ask me why  :laugh:
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2012, 06:33:32 am »
What with work taking me away from my family so much, I don't have room for many hobbies that don't involve the family.  Bowmaking is my primary one and I have very little time to devote to that.  I mostly spend time with my wife and kids.  We like camping, fishing, hunting, gardening.  We spend a lot of time playing with our wiener...dogs >:D  I used to make knives on occasion, before I got into bows.  Working on my house used to be a hobby, but after blowing my entire last summer renovating, that became more of a chore.  Our camper hasn't left the yard since 2010 :'(  When I'm deployed, I spend time reading, going over this forum, drafting house plans, playing the occasional video game, and spend a couple hours a day at the gym.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2012, 06:40:07 am »
Aborigial living skills, blacksmithing, mma, hunting of all sorts(except for sandhill cranes) and any kind of fishing, I dabble in western martail arts, Im also into boyscouting, backpacking, blackpowder shooting, and I also cook(however I cant bake). Not bad considering im 17!!  ::)

What type of western martial arts?  I was a fighter in the SCA for several years before I got married.  Mostly specialized in polearm and spear.

Julian  (aka:  Lord Iulianus of Mountain Freehold....many moons ago)
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »
I've checked out that group,btw. And I will find your fan page and join, as well. Good stuff.

Dane

Cool!

I think the group I was thinking of is called "Pershing Missile Alumni". It's a pretty big group.
Doug from Missouri

Offline mitch

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2012, 03:52:45 am »
I dabble in western martail arts mostly sparring  ;D
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:33 pm »
I hand make books on corded binding
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2012, 12:53:36 am »
I do everything from building computers to making bird houses! I am also a musician and play the bass guitar,6 string guitar,drums and keys.I am an artist and a painter and really enjoy poetry any 18th century literature.I like fishing,tuna,cod,stripers,fluke,seabass from the ocean and trout and bass from fresh water! I just do it all!! Ron 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2012, 01:00:29 am »
What is it about this forum or this hobby that attracts bass players?

Whadya call a guy that hangs with musicians?  Bass Player
How does a bass player break up with the band?  "Hey guys, I wrote this song!"
Whadya call a bass player when he breaks up with his girlfriend?  Homeless
Whats the difference between a bass player and a large pepperoni pizza?  The pizza can feed a family.

All the aforementioned jokes can be modified to drummer jokes as soon as Pearl Drums shows up!!!

John Halverson
former Bass player

P.S.  What does bowmaking and bass playing have in common?  Both are fun and will never make a living for you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2012, 01:15:08 am »
John,  You so do not want to start musician jokes!   I've got a whole repertoire!   Since I'm a reed player I'll start with
How many alto saxophone players does it take to change a light bulb?........ Only one, but you bet there are at least six more standing around to talk about how they would have taken that solo different.   
How many clarinet players does it take to change a light bulb?.......Only one, but it may take him all day to find exactly the right bulb.
What do you call a bass clarinet player with 1/2 a brain? ..........Gifted!
What do you call a clarinet player that owns an Alto Clarinet?.........A nerd.     

But my favorites;    How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb? .............1...5....1....5....1.....5!
Way were pianos invented?.............The bass palyer needed aplace to set down his beer!
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dane

« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:17 am »
Ah, musician jokes.

How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? Four. One to actually change the bulb, while the others stand around and say "I can do that."
What is the difference between a violin and a viola? Violas burn longer.
An oboist and a violist got into a huge fight during rehersal. The conducter broke them up, and demanded to know why they were fighting. The oboist said "he broke my reed." When the conductor asked the violist why, he said "Well, he broke one of my strings, but wont tell me which one."
What does the blues musican's tombstone say? I didnt wake up this morning.
What did the drummer get on his IQ test? Saliva.
What is the differnce between a SCUD missile and a bad oboist? The bad oboist can kill you.
Why are harps like elderly parents? they are both unforgiving and hard to get in and out of cars.
Why do claranetists leave their cases on the dashboard? So they can park in a handicappped spot.
What do you call a person who hangs around with musicians? A vocalist.
Use an accordian, go to jail.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts