Author Topic: Debitage pressure point (new pics)  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Will H

Re: Debitage pressure point (new pics)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 12:19:27 pm »
Great lookin point George! Obsidian is definately some good material to get the hang of pressure work on  :)  Well done!

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »
Made an obsidian preform this afternoon while I was waiting for my trade bow to cool off from another heat bending session,.  Almost all indirect percussion.

There's a little hump right in the center I couldn't knock off.  There's a little valley next to it I can't get flakes to run through.  I hope I can get it pressure flaking.  Not sure what style point to make.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Will H

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 06:43:14 pm »
Looks good george! Remember obsidian likes heavy platforms. Grind, grind the grind some more ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 11:23:23 am »
Uh Oh George.. Looks like by the time we get together your not going to need any instruction's - them are slick!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 11:53:17 am »
I still haven't decided what to make with that one.  I did decide to let my hand rest a little more before too intense a session of pressure flaking.  Not to worry Paul, it's the flint that is giving me fits.  That obsidian works pretty easily, I'll be happy when I feel that way about flint. 

Another thing I need to learn is how to thin a round nodule.  Cipriano got me a bunch of rock that has been in water so it's very smooth and round.  I had a terrible time knocking the edges off it so I could thin it.  I was able to flatten one side, but the other fought me all the way.  I finally got a platform on the base end and knocked a bunch off the top side, but I'm not sure I have enough left for a point.  Drove me crazy, and it's beautiful brown stone.  Should've tried something easier.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »
Another thing I need to learn is how to thin a round nodule.

When you find out, let me know!! :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 03:25:38 pm »
O that doesn't leave me warm and fuzzy.  You taught me everything I know. :)  I sure have a lot of  baseball sized rocks that look to have pretty colors in them.  Need to make a friend with a rock saw.  Then we could slice a couple slabs out of the middle and  I could make jewelry out of the edges.  I've been making hearts for the granddaughters whenever I break a point and don't have enough left.  This one came out of your stuff but the end was real narrow and deep and I broke it off before it was down to point thickness.  The coretex was blood red.  I was hoping the color would go down into the stone, but even after it came off it had such a cool pattern in it that I went ahead and made a heart.

Need to figure out how to glue a mount on it so I can make it a necklace pendant.  I tried wire, but it looked so hokey that I stopped doing it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 03:46:36 pm »
Cool.  You're a better man than I am...  my daughters keep asking for "heart rocks" like that but I don't make them very often. :-\
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 04:33:42 pm »
@ George - try placing a nodule on top of a larger round cobble and hit it square on top to try and split it down the middle - if it works then you will have a flat side to start with.  For wire on those hearts use finer wire. Try an art goo call E6000 it work on all kinds of stuff, or super glue and jewlery findings.

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »
  George, I`ve been told in the past that a thicher point will do the same job as a paper thin piece, & also have the advantage of being a little tougher to break if you should happen to hit a bone on penetration...   There are really only 3 "gotta`s" to an abo point...   gotta have a sharp point to initiate the cut,  gotta have sharp edges to complete the cut, & gotta be thin enough in the hafting area to be mounted, whether an arrowhead, spear point, or knife blade.  Pretty is an option, not a nessessity, unless you`re making jewlery that is. (Pretty sells faster than thick clunky points after all).  Don`t go crazy trying to get off that little hinge or stack away from the edge, it`ll make ya goofy & you`ll break more points going for perfection than it`s worth, & it doesn`t make any real difference in the usability of the piece as long as the "problem area" isn`t right on the cutting edge.
  Thin enough to read a newspaper thru , purty flake scars, museum grade G10 fanfreakintastic points don`t seem to have been a major priority with the Old Ones back in the day.  I know there were exceptions, but if you look at the "normal" points found in the field, you`ll see what I mean.   Get the 3 gottas covered & go make ya some meat with those points.  Nice work by the way.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:11:43 pm by Lobo69ss »
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I may have to go out and try to break a cobble in half later tonight.  My OCD tendencies make it hard for me to ease up on the point finish Lobo69ss, but I intellectually understand.  I'm not good enough to worry much about flake scars and my thinning often results in smaller points, sometimes much smaller.  Such is life. :)

George
St Paul, TX