Author Topic: Sinew Bowstring  (Read 41515 times)

Hartung

Re: Sinew Bowstring
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 07:39:57 am »
Rdb, thanks for the link. I’ve seen it before but didn’t remember it. “An important thing I’ve learned is to pull the sinew from the middle.” That could really be a good way of getting more strands and longer ones too. I’ve also come across this link “Preparing Genuine Sinew for Sewing” http://www.nativeamericanvisions.com/instructions/sinew.htm which also talks about soaking (the whole) sinew in water, like you do. Maybe I should this try this method too.

I tried soaking a small piece of sinew a few days ago. The fibres came apart quite easily but started to tangle seriously. In the link you posted, Mullet asked a question concerning this problem: “How do you keep it from getting tangled together when doing it wet?” I could however imagine pulling the wet sinew with a florist frog or something similar to a comb would help and prevent the fibres from tangling.

Another thing I noticed with the very small dry-reverse-wrapped sample I made for the pic: The twist stays very firmly in place and doesn’t untwist. Even when trying to untwist it a bit it the twisted plies turn back into place. I’ve never seen that before neither with vegetable fibres nor with Dacron. It seems as if the sinew wants to hold to the twist it has been given by the reverse wrap.

rdb

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 12:56:37 pm »
Rdb, thanks for the link. I’ve seen it before but didn’t remember it. “An important thing I’ve learned is to pull the sinew from the middle.” That could really be a good way of getting more strands and longer ones too. I’ve also come across this link “Preparing Genuine Sinew for Sewing” http://www.nativeamericanvisions.com/instructions/sinew.htm which also talks about soaking (the whole) sinew in water, like you do. Maybe I should this try this method too.

I tried soaking a small piece of sinew a few days ago. The fibres came apart quite easily but started to tangle seriously. In the link you posted, Mullet asked a question concerning this problem: “How do you keep it from getting tangled together when doing it wet?” I could however imagine pulling the wet sinew with a florist frog or something similar to a comb would help and prevent the fibres from tangling.

Another thing I noticed with the very small dry-reverse-wrapped sample I made for the pic: The twist stays very firmly in place and doesn’t untwist. Even when trying to untwist it a bit it the twisted plies turn back into place. I’ve never seen that before neither with vegetable fibres nor with Dacron. It seems as if the sinew wants to hold to the twist it has been given by the reverse wrap.

I haven't had any issues with tangling when doing it wet. I just pull off one piece at a time then lay that single piece on a towel making sure it is straight and not touching other sinew. I do this until the towel is filled, at which point, the individual pieces are dry & stiff enough (doesn't take long and doesn't need to be 100% dry) to gather into a bundle and set aside. I repeat this process until I think I have enough sinew for the string then throw it all together in a large pan of warm water to reconstitute again.

I make the string when the sinew is fully reconstituted then hang from a nail in a rafter. On the bottom end of the string, I attach a small general purpose claw hammer. After that, I prepare a thin solution of hide glue and rub it up and down on the string with my fingers then let dry for a couple days before moving.

Thanks to you as well for the link.

rdb

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 02:42:05 pm »
   Just a word of caution and I know this is old news to some of you.I read quite awhile back about the dangers of chewing sinew.There was a discussion about contracting some of the deseases and parasites from Elk,Deer.I quit chewing it myself ans started soaking it in warm water.

Thanks, Mullet. I remember reading a small blip about this some where. Do you or anyone else know where there is more info regarding this?