Author Topic: brand new at this.  (Read 5492 times)

Offline mitchman

brand new at this.
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:49:18 pm »
i have been making bows out of saplings for like 7 years now and im fifteen.i do it on vacation with saplings and roots for bowstrings. but i found the primitive archer magazine at the book store and thought. sweet. i love this stuff. so now i am getting fairly good at making arrowheads. still need the right tools and stuff. but i am i need of some help from the pros. im still on vacation but when i get back i would like to make a self bow. i don,t need a first bow that can kill a deer. but i would like to take it squirrelin or coonin. you know just something to get me up on my feet in this kool hobby. i was wondering what would i should use, and if i could go out and buy a plank from the lumber store and use that as long as its not pressure treated. i own a bandsaw and am pretty good at wood working.

so you think you can help me? :D

thanks
     Mitch

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: brand new at this.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:47:26 am »
I see no reason why you cant make a first bow that will kill a deer.  Why not shoot for deer hunting weight and if it comes in light, it is no big deal.  Where are you from and what kind of trees do you have? 
Check out George's site        http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html 
or Mickey's site     http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/buildingbowsfromboards.msnw
They both have great reading on building all kinds of bows, both from boards and staves.   Also hang out here and ask all the questions you can think of.  We are glad to help.  If you can post pictures as you go, you can get a lot better help.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:31:04 am »
Thanks, Justin. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 08:49:03 am »
Welcome to primitive archery bewarned its extremely addicting ;D Lots of good folk on here willing to help.
Do a little research, line yer tools up, buy a board and start making shavings. Post pictures if ya can and remember to take yer time
and have fun.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mitchman

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 11:47:03 am »
thanks everyone i will post my progress in a couple weeks when i get home.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:58:17 pm »
You can buy a 1 x 2,3, or 4" red oak board from Home Depot or Lowe's.  Check out the grain on the edge of the board to make sure they are mostly parallel.  Great starter material and ready to go for about $6-10
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 02:54:49 pm »
Mickey and George also have some good info and pictures on how to pick your board.  If you are serious about building bows, and it sounds like you are. You should probably buy Traditional Bowyers Bible volume 1 or at least see if you can find it at the library.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mitchman

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 06:21:58 pm »
thanks i will look at stuff when i get home. so you think that red oak will work well.is there any other wood i should look for. oh and i bought making native american hunting, fighting, and survival tools should i look for anymore books about flintknapping and bows pther than the bible one. actualy does anyone have any i can buy for cheap. (low on money). or dvds or vhs would be awesome too. ;D ;D again im only fifteen without a job so low on money. ;D ;D ;D

thanks everyone.

mitch ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 06:43:07 pm »
Mitch Justins advice to get Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol 1 should be taken to heart, talk to yer mom and dad and perhaps
you can convince them to buy it for you. Tell em its better that your at home building bows than running the streets getting in trouble ;D
Work em hard and I'm sure you can pulll it off. There are many different woods that will work but red oak is readily available, cheap and will make a good
first bow, most likely you will need to back it with linen, silk, rawhide or even paper to hold it together. Do your homework first and success is more likely. Where do you live perhaps there is someone on here close to you and is willing to help.
Good Luck and keep us posted eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mitchman

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 07:18:07 pm »
I LIVE NEAR EVANS CITY PENNSYLVANIA.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 04:49:28 am »
No need to shout ;D Mitch ok guys anyone near him?

Manistique, MI