Author Topic: Weight Training  (Read 4944 times)

Offline bushman

Weight Training
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:06:46 am »
How do you go about weight training to shoot these heavy bows? As I said in last post I want to make a 100 lb ELB, but at the moment I’m only shooting a 45 lb bow, last fall I was shooting a old compound but not sure what it was set for, might have been around 60 pounds. Any info greatly appreciate it, thanks.
Bushman

Offline peasant1381

Re: Weight Training
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:57:02 am »
I've used weights long before I started with warbows and it set me up nicely to start off at quite a heavy draw weight. I also use looped bungee cords so that I can replicate the draw itself. Ideally a series of progressively heavier bows would be the way to go as you will have the enjoyment of shooting as you progress up the draw weights. That costs some serious dollars however so weight training can be a cheaper alternative.
Any training is better than nothing and I can only vouch for what works for myself.
So here's a list of some of what I'm doing at the moment. They're not all warbow specific but they'll give you a good all round stronger body.
Just google the names if you don't what they are.
Deadlift
Powerclean
Lunges
Benchpress
Military press
Bent over rows
Pull ups

I haven't been to a gym since 1998. I have an old bench in the garage, 200lbs of plates, and an old water pipe up in the joists of the garage roof that I use for a pull up bar.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:03:07 am »
Pushups, pullups and core work are three areas of fitness that have helped me tremendously in drawing warbows

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59:10 am »
Same story here, pushups, pullups, crunches, bench pressing, deadlift, creaseins, all core workouts, I focus on those that build your arms, pecks, shoulders and back.
-For King Henry, England and Saint George!!!-

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:07:05 am »
I use a bowfit safari exercise band. It's light and I can use it all day at work. The guys I take care of like trying to pull it. It says it's 80-100 pounds. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline bushman

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:41:56 pm »
Thanks for all the replies so far, I appreciate all of them.
Bushman

Offline Fatboy

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:07:30 am »
If I may have a definite say on this matter of increasing your bow pulling strength...

As far as I am convinced, this is a matter of 3 things... technique, strength and repetition. Once you increase your overall upper body strength, the application of correct drawing technique on heavy bows obviously becomes a much less strained factor. It doesn't even require much exercise to drastically increase your upper body strength, as most people are usually not doing much other "weight" training than shooting their bows.
As already mentioned, 2 basic exercises that can (mostly) be performed at home are pushups and especially pull-ups of all kinds and variations. Pull-ups are king of upper body strength.
Bear in mind, that most people cannot even perform a single pull-up. For some, it may seem impossible to begin with, although, all it requires is for you to get started. Always take it easy to begin with, ensure a proper warm up before you begin, such as arm swings or perhaps even a set of pushups. Proceed to grab the bar with both hands, and then slowly let yourself hang loose with arms fully extended.
From here, imagine it as if you want your elbows to meet behind your back, focusing on proper muscle activation and scapula retraction. You should feel as if the whole motion of the pull-up has its origin amidst your shoulderblades, as this ensures you bringing the strong muscles of your back into play. Do not initiate your pull by contracting your biceps; this will only shorten your range of motion and inhibit deep muscle activation. Pull with your back, not with your arms. If you succed in bringing the proper muscles into play, your arms will follow and lifting your chin above the bar should feel natural and unstrained.
Naturally, we are all only mere mortals, and lifting your own bodyweight might not be as easy as it sounds. If you are unable to perform a single proper pull-up (do not despair, this is the case for the vast majority), simply start at the top position and keep it for as long as you can. When you are at your limit, start lowering yourself as slow as you can. Repeat this motion daily. Within a week or two, you should soon be able to perform a proper pull-up

As with archery, do not get too eager. Exercise only once every other day. To begin with, execute something between 2-4 sets of as many FULL MOTION PULL-UPS you can perform. A full motion pull-up being the previously described. Let yourself hang loose at the bottom of each repetition. This will force you to focus on proper muscle activation. As you get to try these things, you will quickly learn that lifting heavy things suddenly becomes much easier, when you learn to "recruit" the correct muscle groups. If you perform these exercises with serious intent on a regular basis, results will come quickly, usually within a matter of weeks. I guarantee you this.

Pull-ups aside, the mere act of pulling your bow (with or without an arrow) is probably the closest thing you come to an exercise that resembles your draw, and should not be neglected. I do this myself on regular basis, alternating between my right and left hand, for optimal results. I warmly recommend this to anyone who is not already doing this.

Wrapping it all up, the moral of the story is... repeat and repeat with proper technique, and there are no limits to how strong you can become ;)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:29:40 am »
The one weight training exercise that has helped me the most in the past is the "bent over row" or the "bent knee row".  I do this with as much weight as I can handle - 3 sets of 5 reps.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bushman

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:39 am »
Thanks for the replies jackcrafty and Fatboy. I was looking for what you said Fatboy. What are the types of warm ups that you do, is it just arm swings and push-ups?
I have done pull-ups before, don't got anywhere to do them at the moment though, but I wasn't doin them right, I was usin my biceps. I will do that when I get a chance and got somewhere to do them. Thanks.
Bushman

Offline Fatboy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:05:01 pm »
I'm glad I hit the nail on the spot.

Yes, normally I warm up with some arm swings, starting out slowly with steady increase in speed. Then I would do a few sets of pushups before I get on to the pull-ups. You really should do yourself a favor and acquire yourself a proper pull-up bar. In case you are wondering which one to get, it's all good as long as you don't get one of these...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4yWOsknAfM

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:33:41 pm »
I suggest keeping any weight training routine simple and to compound movements.  For example I do pushups, pullups, body squats, bridges, and leg raises.  2 working sets each once a week and have consistent gains.  I'd have a beginner do 2-3 times a week until their intensity gets higher (until they fully recover from the last workout). 

As for drawing a bow I can't think of a better simulation than 1 arm rows.  Your knee and hand on one side on a bench and you lift a dumbell off the ground with your other hand into your chest.  Slow and controlled.  Good form and intensity are key.  Good luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln