Author Topic: new to this  (Read 4004 times)

Offline mitchman

new to this
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:02:16 pm »
hey im fairly new to this whole flintknapping thing and  i love it but how are you suppose to get long flakes likegetting them past the centerline.  i am using a copper wire for now cuz im on vacation and i have limited supplies.    :-\

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: new to this
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:47:44 am »
Good well-ground platforms below centerline are the key. You should direct most of the pressure inward, just enough to the side to pop the flake off after you have built up inward pressure. The books by John Whittaker (Flintknapping: Making and Understanding Stone Tools); and D.C. Waldorf (The Art of Flintknapping) are very helpful, as is sitting down with a good knapper and watching him work. There are also several good knapping videos on Youtube. Marty Rueter, aka Flintknappingtips, has a good one about pressure flaking an arrowhead from a flake.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 02:24:14 pm »
You did not fill in at least your state or location mitchman so we could point you to someone close by if available. I can tell you watching someone better, and picking his brain is the key next to breaking rock.

Dick

Offline mitchman

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »
thanks everyone i will fill in my info.  and see if anyone is close enough to me to help me out. ;D