Author Topic: the riser on my first selfbow poped off  (Read 15813 times)

Offline david w.

Re: the riser on my first selfbow poped off
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 07:04:19 pm »
heres the bow picture

[attachment deleted by admin]
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 08:14:55 am »
Thanks, kowechobe. David, no screws. If the handle is bending even a little a screw is not a good  idea.Handles pop off for a variety of reasons. The handle area could be bending. The glue joint does not have an adequate mating of one surface to the other. You can fix it using dowels. Wrap several turns of tape around the drill bit or use a drill stop. Drill from belly to back. Put one in each of the fades (be sure to change the drill depth) and 2 or 3 in the handle and then do a handle wrap using some jute or hemp twine or a substitute. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 10:57:09 am »
It looks a lot like a glue failure.  Is there any splintering, chunks of bow left on the riser, or chunks of riser left on the bow?  It appears to be clean in the picture. It can still be caused by flex in the handle.  Clean it really good.  Then degrease it with acetone.  Sand the handle area (on riser and bow) with 40 grit to rough it up to take the glue.  Degrease it again, then do just like George said.  If you watch the depth of the drill closely like George mentions, and adjust it every time, you can keep the drill from comming out the back of the bow and eliminate the possability of having a splinter rise.  Drill from the riser to within 1/4" of the back but don't go all the way through.  Glue the riser to the bow first so it will stay put while you drill.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 12:04:26 pm »
You are getting the hang of the string thing. Pretty easy, ain't it! ;)    The Elmer's glue is plenty strong enough for holding a riser on your bow...if...the handle area doesn't bend at all when the bow is drawn, the glue mating surfaces were flat and clean, proper clamping pressure is used and the glue isn't stale.
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 12:42:52 pm »
I would guess that your problem is that your riser is to long and to blockey. The riser should look more like a handel then an actual riser.

Here is an eample of a glued on handel area:

How long is your riser? If it is as long as it looks the onlt way that it would stay on is if all your bend was in the way outer portion of your limbs otherwise the force would just pop it off like it has. You will also want to taper the riser if you choose to leave it that length.

SJM

Trapper

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 02:01:46 pm »
Since I started useing titebond 3 I havent had as much trouble with the handle risers coming off, It stays a little flexible and will give when you bend your bow .      Trapper

Robinwho

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 04:23:35 pm »
I would guess that your problem is that your riser is to long and to blockey. The riser should look more like a handel then an actual riser.

Here is an eample of a glued on handel area:

How long is your riser? If it is as long as it looks the onlt way that it would stay on is if all your bend was in the way outer portion of your limbs otherwise the force would just pop it off like it has. You will also want to taper the riser if you choose to leave it that length.

SJM

I agree with Yew, your riser is too long, use tite bond III and let it cure for 48 hours.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 06:57:13 pm »
I don't think the length of the riser is a concern.  If you want to cut an arrow shelf like that you need the extra length. It has to be thicker up were the shelf is, then begin to fade out.  I have quite a few like that. It is more an issue of personal preference.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 08:18:58 pm »
i put epoxy on it yesterday.

i've never seen anything wrong with the handle before.  ive shot my bow alot  before it was finished and there was never a problem.

im going to put my last 2 coats of satin deft on it tonight.

then shoot it and see what happens.

Yes Justin it was a glue faliure.  both surfaces were clean.  it was just glue.  i think the sun could of softend the glue while the finnish was drying

the finnished out at about 41# @ 28"   so im happy,  even though it a little light

i'll be gone for a week so the pictures wont be on here for a while

thanks for all the help
david

p.s.  Pat string making is easy i love it.  ive been making them out of my moms cotton sewing thread because its fun

Offline david w.

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 08:23:05 pm »
next time im going to get a thicker peice of wood and intergrate the handle in it

Offline gpw

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 09:26:32 am »
We had a couple bows with that problem ... likely bad tillering , but we re-glued (T2) and wrapped the handles tightly with some thick Linen string , then varnished... made a nice grip and didn't ever separate again , re-tillering also helped , but not on all ..If you don't like the string grip ,a simple wrap of leather dresses it up ...

Offline david w.

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 10:40:39 am »
i may wrap it in leather but i wanted to be able to see the wood in it.  i think the black walnut's cool

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 10:41:04 am »
Robin's picture shows another important factor. See how the handle sits upon the main stave where the stave and the handle have the same taper. Nice job.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!