Author Topic: Glueing up a bow  (Read 4317 times)

Offline david w.

Glueing up a bow
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:59:45 pm »
When i glue up my bow can i use titebond 2? 

the way i will be glueing it uo is from this buildalong http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/ipe4.htm  how will this work for osage and hickory?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Glueing up a bow
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:13:59 pm »
David.....just make sure that you de-oil the Osage....wipe it down good with Acetone or...I guess some use Oven Cleaner....I won't...but use something to remove the Oils from the Osage...so that the Glue can Bond properly to the Hickory....Also I cant stand to use that many Clamps....I wrap mine with stretched Inner Tube Strips....they work great and are a lot faster to put on too....sand it....clean it....glue it.....wrap it.....clamp it down to you Jig....and you are done.......good luck and send us a ton of Pictures !!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 03:32:52 pm »
Awesome that helps alot.  Maybe i will do a buildalong

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:36:15 pm »
That's the way I do mine.  I've been meaning to try the innertube method and haven't gotten around to it yet.  This is the way I started, and old habits are hard to break.  It works well for me, but you need bunches of clamps!
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 04:08:49 pm »
i think i will use innertubes instead of all those clamps.

if i use innertubes how many clamps will i need?

i figure 3 in the hancle area that clamp in the middle like he has and maybe 1/3 as many of the gator clamp things.  how does that sound?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 04:23:28 pm »
I used to degrease osage for glue-ups but haven't in years now. Done at hundreds of handles, splices and BBO glue-ups, never had a failure. I do use Urac as glue not TB2.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 04:25:12 pm »
David....wipe the Osage down with Acetone.......If you are going to use Titebond 2 or 3....dont take a chance.....when I glue one up with tubes....I have 4 small clamps....I use two 17 inch Bicycle Tubes cut once....and split in half lengthwise...this will give you 4 long pieces of tube...start with one tube and clamp....I start in the Handle and work to the Tips....but it dont matter...just clap your Tube down and start stretching....when you run out of one piecekeep a grip on it and add the next one....then clamp the two done and start stretching again..get the Picture???  ;D ;D When it is all mummified with Tubes...then Clamp it to your Form .and let Her set up....let us see it too......OK
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 04:59:02 pm »
   I also quit degreasing my wood, I don't even degrease ipe any more. I use tight bond 3. I think it is important to start from the middle and work you way toward the tip. You can end up with a "bubble" in the handle if you don't. One thing that I started doing different this year is that I wrap just the bow with the inner tubes pulled tightly and then after it is wrapped I lay it over my form and use more inner tubes to pull it into shape. Usually just about a 6" area midlimb where I am reflexing it. The first side I pull down I don't pull the inner tubes as tight as I do on the second side I pull down as it gets more pressure when pulling the second side down. If you have another set of hands handy it is a good idea to alternate the reflexing wraps putting one on one side and then the other going back and forth, Steve

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 05:59:27 pm »
thanks this really helps i wont have it glued up for a few weeks but when i do i will post pics for you

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:10:07 pm »
this wont be an r/d bow just a bow with a few inches of perry reflex. what should tiller look like?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:58 pm »
                              Depends....are you going Stiff Handle or Bend Through the Handle???
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:31 pm »
6" siff handle its going to be 65" ntn

Offline david w.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 12:19:36 am »
ok i got the bow laid out on the board it looks really good except for one thing there is a check on the side.

while sawing up the big board into smaller boards i noticed it hopefully i cut most of it off and it doesnt extend into the bow piece or i am done and i have to scrap it.

[attachment deleted by admin]