Author Topic: Grain?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline bushman

Grain?
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:52:22 pm »
What I have read on how to make self arrows it always talks about making sure you are cutting your nocks at right angles to the grain. Are they referring to the grain that radiates out from the center of the tree like the spokes on a bike wheel? Or is the term grain being used loosely and they are actually talking about the growth rings? Thanks
Bushman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Grain?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:23:16 pm »
Bushman, they are talking about doweled shafting where there is a visable grain in the ends. With shoot arrows the growth ring goes all around the shoot so the grain they are talking about doesn't exist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Grain?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:24:22 am »
  Pats right with shoot arrows it dos'nt matter. I only put the stiff side towards the bow. But this really don't need to be done. I've made 100's of arrows before I started doing this. Only when spineing dose it really matter. Keeping the stiff side to your bow makes your arrows more uniform. But with center shot self bows you have such a wide range spine this dos'nt really mater. The father away from center the close your spine must be. Then haveing the stiff sire towards the bow matters. MAKES YOUR ARROWS MORE UNIFORM.
  With dowl arrow you should cut your nocks across the grain
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING