Author Topic: Sting Nettle Bow Strings  (Read 12804 times)

neanderthal

Sting Nettle Bow Strings
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:37:56 pm »
I am trying to learn how to make my own bow strings.  I live in northwest N.C.  Can anyone tell me where I can find some stinging nettle plants to attempt this feat. This should be about the time to cut them. Thanx for any help.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Sting Nettle Bow Strings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 06:09:51 pm »
Dang, you are a Neanderthal, playing with that stuff.  Wear a pair of shorts and go walking through the undergrowth.  It will find you.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:08:38 pm »
It is all over Texas...maybe some brave Texas boys can cut some and ship it to ya!  ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

jamie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:01:49 pm »
you can harvest it now but id wait till the fall. harvest it now and you will need to rett it. in the fall you can let it dry, scrape off the outer sheath and remove the pith or you can still rett it. retting is my favorite method for harvesting string material for bow strings. if its not for a bow string smash and twist is fine. peace

donrhudy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:56:05 am »
Jamie, what is netting?

donrhudy

donrhudy

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:57:02 am »
I mean retting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:42:55 am »
Don, Retting is basically soaking the material in water until everything rots off but the good stuff. ;D
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC