Author Topic: Easiest wood to find, work and use?  (Read 4093 times)

Offline kavogt

Easiest wood to find, work and use?
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:56 am »
Been having a hard time finding a supply of decent wood to attempt arrow-making, but can't seem to find anything. The dowels I've look through, when I can find just one straight one, seem limp as noodles. Been thinking of trying to find decent boards, cutting and planning them as outlined by George Tsoukalas, but I'm not sure how the kiln-dried stock in the stores will hold up to a 50 lb recurve.

Are there any near-foolproof, easy to find and buy woods I can look into? It's gotten to the point that I'm looking through stacks of 4x4 douglas fir fence posts in the hopes of finding one not riddled with knots.

Really, I just want something good for a beginner so I test the waters and see if I enjoy making my own arrows.

Offline rmcpb

Re: Easiest wood to find, work and use?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:07:18 am »
If you really just want to see if arrow making is for you why don't you just get some pine shafts the right spine then make them up? If it tickles your fancy then make the next step to making your shafts as well.
Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:15:43 am »
split ceder fencing. I have made shafting from it and I shoot 45-55 range.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »
What size dowles are you looking @?  I think most guys use the 3/8" birch dowels.  Look for the straightest grain w/ very little grain feathering out the sides of the arrow.

Got anything to trade?  I got some shafts, POC, multifloral rose, hazel shoots, PM me if interested.

dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »
I really like 9mm pine dowles from b&q and they shoot very well out of a 65lb bow.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »
  When I used dowls I got them by the 100 I alway have plenty that was'nt straight. Dos'nt long to restaighten. The ones that would'nt stay straight I'd temper them after restaighting most were ok. Some you might have to straight on once in a whille. First thing I do when getting to my blind site is check my arrow and see if it needs straightened. I've found that once you get above 3/8's shafts tent to stay straighter. The 3/8 and 5 16 th are the ones that like to wamp some. Iv'e found out that well made and temper shoot arrows stay straighter and take less restraighting than you adverge dowls arrows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:31:02 pm »
If you are looking to find some really really good wood arrow material, contact me or Matt G.  Either can steer you towards some great arrow materials.

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 06:55:45 pm »
split ceder fencing. I have made shafting from it and I shoot 45-55 range.

Just wondering how they turned out.... i have stock piles of cedar fence boards sitting in my shed.....  had alot left over after doing the garden.... do i cut just 3/8 and then plane them using my friends arrow planer?
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »
I have a real good source of poplar that is as good if not better than anything out there. Pm me or Stringstretcher if you want to talk turkey.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »
As long as the grain does not 'run off' they will be fine. The ceder fencing boards can be pretty 'iffy' unless you pay close attention when picking them.

I made these from split ceder fence posts (not the fencing boards).

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 07:31:42 pm »
Take these guys up on the poplar. It is great shafting!

Offline kavogt

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 11:48:25 pm »
Thanks for the responses. PMs sent to both Stringstretcher and Matt, and, if I can find some cedar post I may try that. The only dowels I can find around here are that actually say what wood they are are poplar and oak. The oak feels too brittle to consider and the poplar too limp. Makes me wish I were an arborist and could wander in the woods and find what I want on my own  :D

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:51:57 pm »
Thanks for the responses. PMs sent to both Stringstretcher and Matt, and, if I can find some cedar post I may try that. The only dowels I can find around here are that actually say what wood they are are poplar and oak. The oak feels too brittle to consider and the poplar too limp. Makes me wish I were an arborist and could wander in the woods and find what I want on my own  :D

The benefits of being an arborist are that you dont even need to go to the bush to find wood.....  people call you up to cut all sorts of trees right in town.... they ay you to take it away.....   so getting paid 600 bucks to drop and remove an enormous maple, and then making that maple tree into alot of bows and arrow shafting. your getting a pretty sweet deal.... Deffianately a career path to consider if your gonna be bowmaking.   
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »
Not to argue with you Jim, but sometimes a person has to use what they have or can get. Not what is the best.